Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long should I let her go?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter is 3 months 2 weeks. Until now I generally try to nurse my daughter every 2 hours on average during the day, and let her make the call at night. She's sleeping through the night every other night (weird I know, no idea why!) at 8-9 hours. The nights she doesn't sleep straight through she only nurses once and then is good till morning. Anyways I really want to just let her tell me when she wants to nurse, but she seems to only want to nurse every 3 1/2 to 4 hours when I do that, and that's not enough to keep her hydrated and keep my supply up. But I hate being tied to a clock. What should I do?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Let her make the call and watch the DIAPERS, not the clock. It is enough to keep her hydrated and supply up if diapers are 6-8 a day.

kcmarino07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Just curious why you think it's not enough ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adamko84
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Quoting kcmarino07:

Because her wet diapers slow down and her soft spot gets depressed.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Quoting adamko84:

Quoting kcmarino07:

Slow down is ok, under 6-8 is an issue.  A baby should not starve themselves....that is not normal.

adamko84
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting adamko84:

Quoting kcmarino07:

Slow down is ok, under 6-8 is an issue.  A baby should not starve themselves....that is not normal.

It's tough to keep her at 6-8 even with me encouraging her every few hours. If I let her decide she drops to 4-5. Which is why I'm nervous about letting her decide for longer than a day.

How`s my pregnancy doing?

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM

ALWAYS let her make the call. Right now. There was never any need to watch the clock, so go toss it. Supply forever adjusts to demand.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Quoting adamko84:

It's tough to keep her at 6-8 even with me encouraging her every few hours. If I let her decide she drops to 4-5. Which is why I'm nervous about letting her decide for longer than a day.

Remember the definition of a wet dipe...if it's sopping that's TWO. Four TB water in a disposable = one wet dipe.

Poops count too. Six changes ina  day, regardless of content.

Are you timing at the breast or letting her go as long as she wants?

adamko84
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting adamko84:

Remember the definition of a wet dipe...if it's sopping that's TWO. Four TB water in a disposable = one wet dipe.

Well counting poops for her is pointless, her pooper isn't working right. That's a whole nother ball game. She didn't poop for 2 months and has only just now restarted. Had to irrigate her just to keep her emptied enough to be able to eat, she stopped eating when she stopped pooping. Anyways now she's going again but is only at 1 poopy maybe every few days, fortunately this time it doesn't seem to be affecting her appetite as much. Anyways I let her go as long as she wants, she'll do anywhere from 8-20 minutes per side. Usually the 20 minute feedings per side though are mostly for comfort, she's not swallowing that whole time. And yeah I know about how to count wet diapers. We've had to hospitalize my son MANY times for dehydration (although for him it was from intestinal infections causing him to not want to eat/drink, fortunately he seems to be outgrowing those), so I know how to watch hydration in little ones.

I guess what I'm asking is is she going so long between feedings (when I let her call the shots) because she's used to being reminded, or is she going so long because she's just not hungry? There are kids that are "happy to starve," my son was one of them. If it's because she's used to being reminded, what can I do to help her learn to tell me without risking severe dehydration?

I don't mean to sound snotty, that's the downside of typing vs speaking : )

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Quoting adamko84:

Well counting poops for her is pointless, her pooper isn't working right. That's a whole nother ball game. She didn't poop for 2 months and has only just now restarted. Had to irrigate her just to keep her emptied enough to be able to eat, she stopped eating when she stopped pooping. Anyways now she's going again but is only at 1 poopy maybe every few days, fortunately this time it doesn't seem to be affecting her appetite as much. Anyways I let her go as long as she wants, she'll do anywhere from 8-20 minutes per side. Usually the 20 minute feedings per side though are mostly for comfort, she's not swallowing that whole time.

OK.

And yeah I know about how to count wet diapers. We've had to hospitalize my son MANY times for dehydration (although for him it was from intestinal infections causing him to not want to eat/drink, fortunately he seems to be outgrowing those), so I know how to watch hydration in little ones.

OK. It always has to be asked, you know?

I guess what I'm asking is is she going so long between feedings (when I let her call the shots) because she's used to being reminded, or is she going so long because she's just not hungry? There are kids that are "happy to starve," my son was one of them. If it's because she's used to being reminded, what can I do to help her learn to tell me without risking severe dehydration?

You don't sound snotty at all. We have to ask irritating questions. Considering the history you've just written, in THIS CASE I would leave her on the clock at least until the stooling issue is resolved. I think you don't have either/or...you have BOTH here.

lifetimelove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

You didn't sound snotty.  =)

However, there could be something else going on here keeping her from nursing efficiently.  This was my daughter's problem.  She literally had to nurse every 1-2 hours around the clock, and that was barely keeping her gaining weight.  She has a weak suck and other issues.

How are milestones?  Have you noticed that she otherwise might be a little "floppy?"  I didn't really notice the bigger problems with my daughter until she was closer to 5 months old.

I would talk to an IBCLC and have her latch and suck evaluated.  She should be okay going 3-4 hours between nursing, if that's what her "demand" is.  The fact that she gets dehydrated when she feeds on demand tells me something more is going on.

Quoting adamko84:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting adamko84:

Well counting poops for her is pointless, her pooper isn't working right. That's a whole nother ball game. She didn't poop for 2 months and has only just now restarted. Had to irrigate her just to keep her emptied enough to be able to eat, she stopped eating when she stopped pooping. Anyways now she's going again but is only at 1 poopy maybe every few days, fortunately this time it doesn't seem to be affecting her appetite as much. Anyways I let her go as long as she wants, she'll do anywhere from 8-20 minutes per side. Usually the 20 minute feedings per side though are mostly for comfort, she's not swallowing that whole time. And yeah I know about how to count wet diapers. We've had to hospitalize my son MANY times for dehydration (although for him it was from intestinal infections causing him to not want to eat/drink, fortunately he seems to be outgrowing those), so I know how to watch hydration in little ones.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)