Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to breast help

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi, I have a 1 month old baby girl.  She was born at 37 weeks and was very small at birth, only 4.14 lbs.  I started out nursing her and never really got the hang of it.  She would normally suck for a few seconds and then fall asleep ( I think it just wore her out to nurse).  Well we found that she had lost almost a pound when we took her to her first doctor visit and had really bad jaundice.  The doctor advised that we I nurse her some and then after nursing give her a bottle of formula too.  Well I didn't like the idea of that so I started expressing breast milk and just giving it to her in a bottle which has worked great!  She was up to 6.3 lbs at her 1 month check up two days ago and it perfect.  Since she is gaining weight good now, I would like to try to get her back on the breast.  Pumping is soooo much work and it would be so much easier if she would nurse.  I have tried to put her to the breast at least once everyday now for about a week now and she either gets really mad and wont latch or stay latched or she latches and sucks a couple of times then falls asleep.  She has actually nursed pretty good a couple of times and falls asleep seeming satisfied but doesn't seem to get as much as she would normally take in a bottle because she wakes up a few minutes later still hungry. I have given her a bottle after she nurses like this and she will take 1 1/2 to 2 oz.  ( she usually takes 2 1/2 to 3 oz. of breast milk in a bottle).  I was just wondering if any one had advice for getting her back to the breast most of the time.  I am very pleased that she does try to nurse sometimes ( I was afraid that she would have nothing to do with it ever!). Thank you ladies for any advice you may have.  

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

She MAY have a weak suck.  I would go see a LC and see if you can do some before and after weigh feedings..though this is not 100% reliable it can give you can idea.

If you want to get her to the breast you will have to be willing to stop ALL bottles.  SHe needs to see your breasts as the ONLY source of food.  Skin to skin, allow her to root and latc.  Let her nurse as much as she wants, if she nurses then 10 min later wants to nurse again 10 min later let her.  It MAY be just for comfort or she may have realized hey that stuff is good I want more. Either wya good for supply.

SpiritedTigress
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I havent read replies yet, so I'm sure someone has probably already said this :)

I cant tell you exactly how to do it, but I can offer tips.

First, never give her more than 1oz at a time in the bottle. When you do give more than 1oz at a time, the baby is tricked into thinking the bottle has a better supply than mom.
Always offer the breast first! Offer when she's not really hungry, but will want to eat soon. Stop giving the paci if are, and offer the breast instead. At that age they have a need to suck ALL THE TIME so you can help her practice then.
As soon as she starts taking the breast more often, stop bottles completely.
To help her, pump enough to start let-down and THEN feed her, so that the milk is already there and waiting.

That's all I got so far. Good luck mama, and congradulations!

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM

And a supplemental nursing system will be very helpful.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

She MAY have a weak suck.  I would go see a LC and see if you can do some before and after weigh feedings..though this is not 100% reliable it can give you can idea.

If you want to get her to the breast you will have to be willing to stop ALL bottles.  SHe needs to see your breasts as the ONLY source of food.  Skin to skin, allow her to root and latc.  Let her nurse as much as she wants, if she nurses then 10 min later wants to nurse again 10 min later let her.  It MAY be just for comfort or she may have realized hey that stuff is good I want more. Either wya good for supply.

I agree! The best way to get her to the breast is no bottles. If she wants to eat all day for awhile do it! It won't be like that forever and it will build up your  milk supplyl.

Doing everything different this time around: breastfeeding, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, will-be child led weaning, & baby wearing. Learning as I go & trying to raise my children the way God wants me to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)