Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many bowel movements should my DS be having at almost 4 months?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM
  • 13 Replies

My DS used to have at least 2 bowel movements a day and now all of the sudden it's once a day or every other day. He hasn't had one all day today or yesterday so I'm getting kind of worried. I thought I read it was normal for them to slow down but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Doing everything different this time around: breastfeeding, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, will-be child led weaning, & baby wearing. Learning as I go & trying to raise my children the way God wants me to.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I think the record is like 20 days without one..not sure, but I have none some babies to go 10 days for sure without an issue.

As long as baby is wetting enough and not in pain baby is fine

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Yes, the record is 20 days between. And a normal blowout at the end..literally!

They do slow down their stooling at about this age. No worries. There is no "should" number for stools.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Okay great thanks! I was just checking because I was afraid he was constipated. :)

lifetimelove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Once they get past the three week point, it's okay for bowel movements to slow down and stretch out for days at a time.  Nothing to worry about as long as it's not hard when they poop.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

my ds is also almost 4 months. he will go a couple of days sometimes without pooping, and then poop one day, all day, lol!! i think that is normal. as long as he's wetting, im sure he is ok.

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM

It's not constipation unless when it comes it's pellet-like hard formed pieces. If when it comes it's soft no worries.

new_mom808
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM

frequency is irelevant. Consistancy is what matters. As long as he's not in pain, hard stomach or hard pellet like stools you're all good.

JennaFoix
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM

my son is 3 months and poos every diaper!!

JennaFoix
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM

and this is for breastfed babies??? my son poops every diaper and has since he was born. I think Ive changed maybe 5 diapers of only pee his whole life (3 months).

Quoting gdiamante:

They do slow down their stooling at about this age. No worries. There is no "should" number for stools.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 27, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Yep. Look for a change in a few weeks.

Quoting JennaFoix:

and this is for breastfed babies??? my son poops every diaper and has since he was born. I think Ive changed maybe 5 diapers of only pee his whole life (3 months).

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)