Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi! I'm a newbie and need help :)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hi everyone!  I'm new to this group and will be having my second daughter any day now, hopefully! I'm due 6.15.10 but went to L&D last night but it turned out to be false labor...I hope someone here can help me with my problem/question.

So, I tried to breastfeed my first daughter (she's 2 now) when she was born. I had a difficult time with it though. I wanted so badly to exclusively BF her but ended up having to use a supplemental feeder because she was borderline low birth weight.  My milk never really came in and I had her on the boob and pumped constantly for 3 weeks. I was prescribed Reglan to help the milk come in but it gave me terrible headaches and nausea and made me feel like I was going to pass out...So I stopped taking it. I was told by a nurse just a few weeks ago, that there is a nose spray (oxytocin) that is used sometimes to help with milk production. Has anyone ever heard of this or possibly know of anything else that will help me. I should mention that I have PCOS and I was also told that this could cause problems with BF'ing but there is no concrete evidence...

Any help/ideas/advice would be sooo helpful and appreciated. I really, really, really want to BF successfully this time. Thanks to all who were able to make it through this long post!!

Thanks again,

Angie

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lifetimelove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM

First, get THIS book.  It addresses issues such as PCOS and to help maintain milk supply.  And yes PCOS can definately effect supply.  There are a couple moms here who have successfuly EBF with PCOS, hopefully they will chime in with what helped them.

Did they tell you that you had to supplement your daughter simply because of her birth weight?  Or did she have suck issues (some LBW babies have weak muscle tone for a few weeks until they gain weight, so that can be an issue).  My daughter was under five pounds - 4 1/2 at take home, and she was able to EBF just fine, they never told me to supplement simply because of her birthweight.  Sorry you got bad information from them.

I haven't heard of the nose spray.  But if you need medication to help with milk production, Domperidone is the way to go.  It doesn't have the side effects that Reglan has.

Another thing to help - allow the placenta to birth on its own (if possible).  Let the blood in the cord run out.  As soon as baby comes out (assuming no emergencies), have them lay him on your belly and he will literally crawl up to your nipple and latch on.  If you're not comfortable with the belly crawl, simply lay him to your chest - they will instinctively latch, especially if you make sure that they don't wipe him off too well (the smell of the amniotic fluid helps with the whole process).  That's why it's bad to bathe the baby before giving to mommy.  Very bad.

For the first hour after birth, they leave you alone.  They can hold off on weighing and all that good stuff for an hour or more.  Once baby is done with the initial feed, they can do their thing.

Those first few moments are very important to a breastfeeding relationship, especially for women who have history of breastfeeding issues or are more likely to have problems.

Quoting HannahsMom312:

Hi everyone!  I'm new to this group and will be having my second daughter any day now, hopefully! I'm due 6.15.10 but went to L&D last night but it turned out to be false labor...I hope someone here can help me with my problem/question.

So, I tried to breastfeed my first daughter (she's 2 now) when she was born. I had a difficult time with it though. I wanted so badly to exclusively BF her but ended up having to use a supplemental feeder because she was borderline low birth weight.  My milk never really came in and I had her on the boob and pumped constantly for 3 weeks. I was prescribed Reglan to help the milk come in but it gave me terrible headaches and nausea and made me feel like I was going to pass out...So I stopped taking it. I was told by a nurse just a few weeks ago, that there is a nose spray (oxytocin) that is used sometimes to help with milk production. Has anyone ever heard of this or possibly know of anything else that will help me. I should mention that I have PCOS and I was also told that this could cause problems with BF'ing but there is no concrete evidence...

Any help/ideas/advice would be sooo helpful and appreciated. I really, really, really want to BF successfully this time. Thanks to all who were able to make it through this long post!!

Thanks again,

Angie

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

HannahsMom312
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great info!! I will definietly be heading to the bookstore tomorrow!

My daughter was 5lbs 8 oz when born and 5 lbs when we left the hospital. I guess me being a first time mom, I was a little naive and just did what the hospital staff told me to do so I supplemented her feedings. She didn't have any issues latching on and there were a few times when I could hear her drinking my milk which was so rewarding to me. But, whenever I pumped, I would get less than an ounce and my breasts never got engorged...A visiting nurse came to our house 2 days after she was born and she had lost more weight (I should mention that we didn't supplement every feeding right away and the amount of formula we did give her was very minimal).

The Reglan is definitely a no go but I will research the Domperidome. Hopefully I won't need anything at all. I'm just not sure if because I had issues the first time, I will definitely have issues this time around bu I'd like to have more info this time around.

Thank you so much for the the great information and resources to investigate.

Quoting lifetimelove:

First, get THIS book.  It addresses issues such as PCOS and to help maintain milk supply.  And yes PCOS can definately effect supply.  There are a couple moms here who have successfuly EBF with PCOS, hopefully they will chime in with what helped them.

Did they tell you that you had to supplement your daughter simply because of her birth weight?  Or did she have suck issues (some LBW babies have weak muscle tone for a few weeks until they gain weight, so that can be an issue).  My daughter was under five pounds - 4 1/2 at take home, and she was able to EBF just fine, they never told me to supplement simply because of her birthweight.  Sorry you got bad information from them.

I haven't heard of the nose spray.  But if you need medication to help with milk production, Domperidone is the way to go.  It doesn't have the side effects that Reglan has.

Another thing to help - allow the placenta to birth on its own (if possible).  Let the blood in the cord run out.  As soon as baby comes out (assuming no emergencies), have them lay him on your belly and he will literally crawl up to your nipple and latch on.  If you're not comfortable with the belly crawl, simply lay him to your chest - they will instinctively latch, especially if you make sure that they don't wipe him off too well (the smell of the amniotic fluid helps with the whole process).  That's why it's bad to bathe the baby before giving to mommy.  Very bad.

For the first hour after birth, they leave you alone.  They can hold off on weighing and all that good stuff for an hour or more.  Once baby is done with the initial feed, they can do their thing.

Those first few moments are very important to a breastfeeding relationship, especially for women who have history of breastfeeding issues or are more likely to have problems.

Quoting HannahsMom312:

Thanks again,

Angie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)