Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 month old with decreased breastfeeding

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 9 month old is getting to the point where he isn't nursing much in the morning and sometimes throughout the night..(cosleeping) he will take a few sips then looks away...on and off...then if I continue to hold him he trys to sit up and crys. Is this normal? I dont think hes getting enough milk...I have had some major issues with my health lately but I am still making milk...my last child did this and I started her on formula...she was on a nursing strike...she never went back to the breast she however was 8 months old then hes a little older...I have tried supplementing with formula 2 times but he wont have that either... I am not sure what to do please help.....? Oh and his diaper count has decreased hes down to maybe 3 per day....

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommytoangel407
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

How much solids are you giving?  Are you trying to nurse before solids? 

halieghsmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM

he gets3-4 feedings of solids and I always offer before and after and all day long I am a stay at home fulltime work part time meaning less then 14 hours per week.. he gets breast fed at work too...

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Kellymom has info and links to more info on nursing strikes here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html#strike

halieghsmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I didn't find many things that will help on kelly mom...

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM

He's normal. No need to supplement, Just offer. Make sure he gets not one bite of solids wihtout having nursed first. NOT ONE.

Mine did this little at about this age. Nursed to 26 months.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

BTW...3-4 feedings is likely too much if he's not nursing much. Cut the solids out for a bit. Won't hurt him to do so.

halieghsmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM

If I do that then his diaper count would decrease.... wont they with solids hes getting some nutrition right??? How many times should he be breastfeeding a day?

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Did you read the top of the article too, I linked you directly to the nursing strike stuff but there's much more info above on persuading baby to nurse.

Quoting halieghsmom:

I didn't find many things that will help on kelly mom...

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:34 PM

The thing with too many solids is it replaces your breast milk and they will not want to nurse as much. Throughout the first year breast milk should be #1 importance in babies diet, solids are an afterthought. Breast milk=main course, solids=small dessert.

Quoting halieghsmom:

If I do that then his diaper count would decrease.... wont they with solids hes getting some nutrition right??? How many times should he be breastfeeding a day?

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)