Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pacifier?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM
  • 19 Replies

My baby's dr wants me to give him a pcifier now because he's eating too much and gaining too quickly. (ugh!) So what kind do you ladies recommend for a breastfed baby? I just don;t want him to have nipple confusion. He's 2 months old as of today.

breastfeeding

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM

you know what, breast fed babies won't overeat.  Really they won't. He is probably just going through a growth spurt and he will eventually even out. My dd gained very fast and topped the charts, but now is gaining more slow and steady.  She just had her own way of doing things. He will be fine. Nurse on demand and offer a paci if you want but don't try to stick on in his mouth when he is really hungry. It won't work, and you'll just have a really angry baby on your hands.  My kids wouldnt take paci's for more than a couple of months and only a handfull of times at that. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Um fire the ped.  This is not possible.

A bf baby can not overeat from the breast.  A paci is never given instead of the breast ever ever ever. 

Now if given bottles then a paci afterwards is ok to prevent overeatting.

If you want to give a paci to quiet in him the car or a time when you can't nurse...fine, but not to stop nursings.  Avent and Mam have worked for my kids.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM

btw can we get some weights?

Aubreys_Mom_10
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

http://www.babyearth.com/images/10-2982-01b.jpg or soothie. The first one gives like the nipple. You basically have to just try until you find one. There is also a munchkin one that i have heard a lot of good things about. Good luck!!! Also, I agree with the other posters. Give him a paci to soothe. Not to replace food. Def. find a new ped.

IluvMyJobImAMOM
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM

NO NO NO NO NO PACI at least in place of breast BAD PEDI BAD BAD BAD PEDI!!!! Just wait here in a few months your pedi who I hope is no longer your pedi will say oh supplement he is not gaining enough! My pedi told me to do this wiht DD but I didnt I fired my pedi and got a new one :D Love the one I have now!!!  Please dont use the paci cause the dr told you too!!! babies eat when they are hungry just like you or I and they will not eat to myuch breastfeeding from the breast promise...... sorry for the erroers NAK

MotherofIreland
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I can't imagine giving a hungry infant a paci instead of food.  It's cruel!

I agree with the others.  Find a new pedi if you can.

Out of curiosity, just how fast is your LO gaining??

pink72princess
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

He was 8 lb 13 oz at birth. Dropped to 8 lb 0oz in the first week. They made me choose between giving him formula or taking him back to the hospital for a tube/fluids. i chose formula. He gained 6 oz overnight, which in turn stretched his stomach. He wasn't satisfied with just the breastmilk I had to offer from that point on. (I had also been prescribed a water pill for swelling that ended up drying my milk up a lot, but I've been on Reglan for 3 weeks now so it's getting better) I have had to pump and give it to him with a bottle. My lactation consultant gave me temporary use supplemental nursing system, but we got thrush and had to throw it away. I have ordered my long term use SNS but it hasn't come yet, so I'm having to use bottles. I can pump about an ounce per hour now. The ped said he should have no more than 4 oz at a time. With a bottle, he will eat 6-7 oz if you let him. He is 13 lbs now. He said that a lot of the time babies just want something to suck on and if you're giving him breast or bottle then milk comes out and they eat more than they should. He doesn't have the best latch so I am alternating breastfeeding and bottle feeding (pumped milk or a little formula-hopefully no formula soon) with each feeding so that my nipples can heal until the next feeding.

So, he has gained about 12 oz per week I guess.

Does this info help? I don't want to starve him! He really like to suck. I have been just giving him my breast for as long as I can stand it. Usually if he's not really hungry he ends up just kind of nuzzling with my breast. : )

lifetimelove
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Quoting pink72princess:

He was 8 lb 13 oz at birth. Dropped to 8 lb 0oz in the first week. They made me choose between giving him formula or taking him back to the hospital for a tube/fluids. i chose formula.

Oh my gosh, you really need to change pediatritians NOW.  You were a victim of very very bad information.  Your baby lost less than 10% of his birthweight.  There was NOTHING WRONG.  And no reason to supplement.  It's over now, but something to know for the future.  SEriously, new pediatritian, this is appalling.

He gained 6 oz overnight, which in turn stretched his stomach.

Gaining weight won't stretch his stomach.  As long as it was limited how much he was getting in a bottle.  How big were the bottles?

He wasn't satisfied with just the breastmilk I had to offer from that point on. (I had also been prescribed a water pill for swelling that ended up drying my milk up a lot, but I've been on Reglan for 3 weeks now so it's getting better) I have had to pump and give it to him with a bottle. My lactation consultant gave me temporary use supplemental nursing system, but we got thrush and had to throw it away. I have ordered my long term use SNS but it hasn't come yet, so I'm having to use bottles. I can pump about an ounce per hour now.

That's quite a bit!

The ped said he should have no more than 4 oz at a time.

He's right there, really shouldn't have more than 2-3 ounces.

With a bottle, he will eat 6-7 oz if you let him.

Definately way too much...

He is 13 lbs now. He said that a lot of the time babies just want something to suck on and if you're giving him breast or bottle then milk comes out and they eat more than they should.

He's right there.

He doesn't have the best latch so I am alternating breastfeeding and bottle feeding (pumped milk or a little formula-hopefully no formula soon) with each feeding so that my nipples can heal until the next feeding.

Okay, here's the problem.  The bottles are making the latch problem WORSE.  Pacifiers will only add to this.  No more bottles.  Work on the latch.  If he needs supplemented, then use a syringe or cup.  But count diapers.  If he gets six, he doesn't need supplemented.  Keep him at the breast.  All day if you need to.  To protect your nipples, use nipple shields. NO MORE BOTTLES.

Does this info help? I don't want to starve him! He really like to suck. I have been just giving him my breast for as long as I can stand it. Usually if he's not really hungry he ends up just kind of nuzzling with my breast. : )

You really need to work on the latch.  Find an IBCLC if you can, was the LC who gave you the SNS working with you to correct the latch?  If she was, go back to her until it's fixed

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

LeanneC
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Get the latch corrected and just nurse.  Will fix the overeating and eliminate the need for a paci.  You're producing PLENTY of milk... so no need to supplement, just work on the latch (and bottles and pacis will only make a poor latch worse).   You're seeing a LC... so has she been able to get him to latch correctly?   I'm willing to bet if you dump the bottles his latch will get better pretty quickly! 

pink72princess
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

Quoting pink72princess:

He was 8 lb 13 oz at birth. Dropped to 8 lb 0oz in the first week. They made me choose between giving him formula or taking him back to the hospital for a tube/fluids. i chose formula.

Oh my gosh, you really need to change pediatritians NOW.  You were a victim of very very bad information.  Your baby lost less than 10% of his birthweight.  There was NOTHING WRONG.  And no reason to supplement.  It's over now, but something to know for the future.  SEriously, new pediatritian, this is appalling.

He gained 6 oz overnight, which in turn stretched his stomach.

Gaining weight won't stretch his stomach.  As long as it was limited how much he was getting in a bottle.  How big were the bottles?

It was with a medicine cup, about 20 cc every hour, plus nursing.

He wasn't satisfied with just the breastmilk I had to offer from that point on. (I had also been prescribed a water pill for swelling that ended up drying my milk up a lot, but I've been on Reglan for 3 weeks now so it's getting better) I have had to pump and give it to him with a bottle. My lactation consultant gave me temporary use supplemental nursing system, but we got thrush and had to throw it away. I have ordered my long term use SNS but it hasn't come yet, so I'm having to use bottles. I can pump about an ounce per hour now.

That's quite a bit!

thanks! It has been really hard work getting it to this point! : )

The ped said he should have no more than 4 oz at a time.

He's right there, really shouldn't have more than 2-3 ounces.

With a bottle, he will eat 6-7 oz if you let him.

Definately way too much...

He is 13 lbs now. He said that a lot of the time babies just want something to suck on and if you're giving him breast or bottle then milk comes out and they eat more than they should.

He's right there.

He doesn't have the best latch so I am alternating breastfeeding and bottle feeding (pumped milk or a little formula-hopefully no formula soon) with each feeding so that my nipples can heal until the next feeding.

Okay, here's the problem.  The bottles are making the latch problem WORSE.  Pacifiers will only add to this.  No more bottles.  Work on the latch.  If he needs supplemented, then use a syringe or cup.  But count diapers.  If he gets six, he doesn't need supplemented.  Keep him at the breast.  All day if you need to.  To protect your nipples, use nipple shields. NO MORE BOTTLES.

This is why my LC gave me the SNS, she said not to use nipple shields anymore. But that was when my supply was low. Do you think it would be ok now? Of course  we have thrush right now too so I would have to toss them when we're over this.

You really need to work on the latch.  Find an IBCLC if you can, was the LC who gave you the SNS working with you to correct the latch?  If she was, go back to her until it's fixed

Yes she's helping me with it. I actually have two IBCLCs. They are amazing. I hear from one of them almost everyday : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)