Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing while sleeping??

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM
  • 43 Replies
Everyone keeps saying " nurse while laying on ur side in the middle if night so u can sleep too"! But how do u safely do this?? Isn't there a chance the child could be suffocated by your breasts??? Maybe I just have to wait untill he's not a newborn anymore??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I admit I have slept while nursing. Not at night though, just durring the day.  I have never rolled on them or squished them in the slightest. I think it depends on the person whether or not its safe. 

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I never did it with my DS when he was a newborn.  Mostly because he was a c-section baby and that position was damn near impossible to get into.  I actually slept flat on my back for about 2 months.  After that I slept with him while he nursed.  I would wake up just enough to know that he'd latched on and then I'd go back to sleep.  If you sleep on your side with the baby in the crook of your arm, you are still kind of supporting his head while at the same time making it impossible to roll over on him.  It works pretty well, actually.

Mistii
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I never did it when they were newborn, I was scared. I'm sure alot of people do it, you just have to go with what you're comfortable with and always think of safety first.

lfrrll5
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM
I will say I too have slept while my kids nursed at night. Never have I rolled on him or has he had any problems. Sometimes he doesn't even cry he just latches on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I didn't do it until he was 3 months old. I would prop myself up with pillows, and never actually slip into deep sleep- it's more of a doze. but it helps.

IluvMyJobImAMOM
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I always said that I wouldnt " I have" and now almost every night do... one night when DD was about 3 weeks old I took her to my bed to lay down to nurse I was so tired and well I fell asleep when I woke up when she needed to nurse again I was in a panic was she okay did i kill her I was thinking in my head so sleep deprived not to think about the fact I woke up cause she was crying " DH still teases me at times for this" I like to now so much easier I think you have to look at your self are you a heavy sleeper or tos and turn a lot???

activitymode
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I've done it with all my babies.  Everyone and their brother has told me how unsafe this is but I have done this starting at about 3 weeks of age with all 3 kids.  In fact I do it right now with my 4 month old.  I can only say for myself that somehow I'm still aware of my child even though I am sleeping.  I've never had a 'scare" so to speak and I sleep much better because I'm not getting up all night.  Its something you have to be comfortable doing and realize that something bad could happen but likely not.

Aubreys_Mom_10
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I know this isn't safe, but I sleep and nurse EVERY night. And I have since I brought my dd home. I pray to God every night that nothing happens to her. This is and was the only way I could get some sleep. She nurses to sleep. Not the other way around. You'll do just fine.

bec94
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM

With my 1st I started when she was 3-4 months. It was an accident but worked out for us. Hubby and I were so used to having her in our bed that it was easy with our new baby (DD #1 was out of our bed long before DD #2 showed up). In my experience both slept throught the night faster, I felt/feel more rested, and very rarely is there crying in this house at night. She typically nuzzles into me when she wants to nurse. I'm actually getting ready to move her to her crib...I'm going to miss the night time snuggles! Plus she gets breakfast in bed every morning, LOL! For safety hubby and I don't drink and lay with her in bed and if hubby has to take nyquil or any meds he's on the couch.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Skys_mommy86
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM
I have small boobs. :) I did it with both girls from day one. Still do with my 6 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)