Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

milk protein allergy? imbalance?

Posted by on May. 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM
  • 4 Replies

It seems that we have had a lot of symptoms of a milk protein allergy. He has been super gassy, and acting like his tummy hurts. His stools have been green. Has done some gagging/coughing....really a lot of the same symptoms as reflux. Only thing is though, is that I had been lactose intolerant (I couldn't handle dairy until I was about 15 years old). So, at our appointment yesterday, she thought I should try cutting out dairy. AFTER the appointment, is when I saw his first ever mucusy stool, with blood in it.  I did some quick reading last night, and saw that this symptom itself, most likey comes from either a milk allergy, or from a fore mink/hind milk imbalance...that can happen with an over-supply, and had a few questions for you ladies who might have experienced either of these things.

First, if you had a baby with blood/mucus in their stools because of these issues, what did it look like? When I look up online what it looks like, every website I have come across says something along the lines of..."If you see blood in the stool that is like dark raspberry jelly or is streaked with red mucus, call your doctor immediately." I did call our doctor tonight, but I don't know if I really described it well...and she agreed it might just be a milk protein allergy, and to keep an eye on it.

Second, I exclusively pump. I can get about 8 ounces, every three hours. That kind of sounds like an oversupply, compared to what he is eating...and sometimes when I have to go a little longer than that because I am out of the house longer, I know there is a lot of foremilk. I have also heard with pumping, that it could sometimes be a problem getting the hindmilk out as well as a baby could. Or, should this even be an issue, because it all mixes in the bottle anyways?

And third, just because I wonder...is lactose present in breast milk? or is it just something present in cow's milk? (and then, would only be present in breast milk if the mother was to eat dairy?). Since I was lactose intolerant for so long, I am hoping my son is not as well. When I read about the specific issue the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance has, it was with the breaking down of the lactose in their system. Will cutting out dairy from my diet, essentially solve BOTH those issues (no lactose if it was the imbalance, so he will feel better.....no milk protein if it was me eating dairy itself...so he feels better)

Thank you very much ladies:)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on May. 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Quoting Katharine1229:

It seems that we have had a lot of symptoms of a milk protein allergy. He has been super gassy, and acting like his tummy hurts. His stools have been green. Has done some gagging/coughing....really a lot of the same symptoms as reflux. Only thing is though, is that I had been lactose intolerant (I couldn't handle dairy until I was about 15 years old). So, at our appointment yesterday, she thought I should try cutting out dairy. AFTER the appointment, is when I saw his first ever mucusy stool, with blood in it.  I did some quick reading last night, and saw that this symptom itself, most likey comes from either a milk allergy, or from a fore mink/hind milk imbalance...that can happen with an over-supply, and had a few questions for you ladies who might have experienced either of these things.

First, if you had a baby with blood/mucus in their stools because of these issues, what did it look like?never had that issue so I can't describe it sorry When I look up online what it looks like, every website I have come across says something along the lines of..."If you see blood in the stool that is like dark raspberry jelly or is streaked with red mucus, call your doctor immediately." I did call our doctor tonight, but I don't know if I really described it well...and she agreed it might just be a milk protein allergy, and to keep an eye on it.

Second, I exclusively pump. I can get about 8 ounces, every three hours. That kind of sounds like an oversupply, compared to what he is eating...and sometimes when I have to go a little longer than that because I am out of the house longer, I know there is a lot of foremilk. I have also heard with pumping, that it could sometimes be a problem getting the hindmilk out as well as a baby could. Or, should this even be an issue, because it all mixes in the bottle anyways?yeah it could be a foremilk issue because if you are not pumping till fully "empty" and not using massage and compression he may not be getting enough hindmilk.  That COULD be an issue

And third, just because I wonder...is lactose present in breast milk?yes in fact more lactose in BM than in cows milkor is it just something present in cow's milk? (and then, would only be present in breast milk if the mother was to eat dairy?)lactose is not passed from eatting dairy thats the milk protein. Since I was lactose intolerant for so long, I am hoping my son is not as well.very very very doubtful When I read about the specific issue the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance has, it was with the breaking down of the lactose in their system. Will cutting out dairy from my diet, essentially solve BOTH those issues (no lactose if it was the imbalance, so he will feel better.....no milk protein if it was me eating dairy itself...so he feels better)you can't cut the lactose out  of your milk, all mammals have lactose

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/lactose-intolerance.html

Thank you very much ladies:)

cut out dairy products for 3-4 weeks to see a change IF its that. Worth a try.

lifetimelove
by on May. 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I doubt he's lactose intollerant.  Most adults are, and it's something that actually develops around 4-7 years old.  Babies are by nature NOT lactose intollerant, because they wouldn't survive (since there is lactose in every milk - it's the milk sugar).  It's called galactosemia and is very rare - plus they test for in in the newborn screen.  You would have known in the first few weeks if this was a problem, he would have been vomiting like crazy and losing weight.

Milk protein allergy could definately be the problem.  I'm guessing that this is more likely than foremilk-hindmilk imbalance because of the bottle feeding.  Although the gagging and coughing while bottle feeding could indicate that it's reflux as well.

First thing to do - cut dairy.  All dairy.  Look for the hidden dairy.  I believe there's a list at www.godairyfree.org that will tell you where dairy is hidden. 

Give it a month.  If symptoms don't improve - then I'm thinking you're looking at reflux.  Get a referral to a pediatric GI doctor.  They can do a scope to look at the esophogus and stomach to look for the effects of reflux.  I would make sure they do that sooner rather than later, I'm not a big fan of using medications to diagnose (which is what they typically do, and it can take months before they decide the medicines aren't working and go to the scope or barium study, which is what happened with us - not fun).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I'm also going to sugest a change in your pumnping schedule...every two hours. Sounds like you're waiting too long and supply is building too much. More frequent sessions with lower output can help.

Katharine1229
by on May. 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I know that the lactose intolerence is rare, but, considering I was (and had such violent reactions to anything containing dairy...vomiting for 24-48 hours, and diarhea at the same time i am told)...I just wondered if it changes how common it is in a baby who has a parent with it. Now, he is by no means THAT bad off, so I doubt that is the issue.

I have cut out dairy now for about 48 hours...i didn't think I ate a lot of it at all...its surprising how much stuff its in! Since I posted this, i have not seen any more blood or mucus...so that is promising!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN