Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My BF Baby needs Vitimin D?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

So, I was "told" by a family member I need to get Maddie Vitimin D shots ASAP b/c she is BF and there's not enough good stuff in my milk.

and BTW Maddie goes outside everyday (if it's not raining)...

and BTW my baby is SO healthy and happy.

I'm a first-time mama to Madelyn Diane, EBF, delayed solids, make my own baby food, cloth-diapering, part-time working, part-time graduate student :) 

by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Smile, nod, ignore. =)

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM

never heard of vitamin D shots . my daughter's pediatrician prescribed vitamin D though because BF babies lack it or something like that.

MDT09
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

did some research:

Maddie does not need any extra Vitimin D... and, I'm not going to have her get pricked to find out "medically" if she does or not.

I, myself, am not Vitimin D deficent.  We do not live far north plus, she spends plently of time in the sun.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

t2zeller
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Exactly my thoughts!! So glad to hear you've done your own research!! :)  

Quoting Daynaof3:

Smile, nod, ignore. =)

Misery_Stitches
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Quoting Daynaof3:

Smile, nod, ignore. =)

Exactly that - aslong as she gets some sun she is fine :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
snowysakurasky
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:53 AM

there's no bad side of giving it to her, it can prevent some diseases and make her stronger. even adults benefit from this supplement.

i take it myself as often as i can remember and my bf baby also gets drops. my 2 year old kust gets it from milk.

if you don't like to force that dropperful of it down her mouth everyday there is a great product i have that is very concentrated...only requires one tiny drop on your nipple!

i'm glad your baby is doing perfectly but i think that vitamin d is more for preventing things down the road....

if you're unsure please ask your doctor next time if you are far south enough to not need it

shinymom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM

Vitamin D has to be added to cows milk because without it humans can't properly process and absorb the calcium in it. That's why milk you buy in the store has vitamin D added to it...otherwise the majority of the calcium in that milk would just go right through you. But since breastfed babies aren't being fed a difficult to process food, they don't need the artificially high levels of vitamin d that formula fed babies are getting. So ignore them. Your baby is getting a COMPLETE food source, and doesn't need the extra levels of vitamin D.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:03 AM

First of all, they dont typically do vitamin d shots in this situation, there are supplement drops that you can buy OTC.
Second of all it's up to you. We skipped the vit D altogether. It's nice outside, just take her out to get a little sun every day. It's a better source of vit D.

marie85
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:08 AM

I agree with the others... and I see you researched for yourself too..:)

montessori_mama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Too much Vitamin D can lead to Hypervitaminosis D.  The drops the doctor prescribed for my daughter also contain methylparaben (a preservative that has been linked to cancer) and artificial coloring and flavoring.  I am choosing not to give it for these reasons.  I get plenty of Vitamin D myself, and we live in the tropics so my babe gets plenty, too.

Quoting snowysakurasky:

there's no bad side of giving it to her, it can prevent some diseases and make her stronger. even adults benefit from this supplement.

i take it myself as often as i can remember and my bf baby also gets drops. my 2 year old kust gets it from milk.

if you don't like to force that dropperful of it down her mouth everyday there is a great product i have that is very concentrated...only requires one tiny drop on your nipple!

i'm glad your baby is doing perfectly but i think that vitamin d is more for preventing things down the road....

if you're unsure please ask your doctor next time if you are far south enough to not need it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)