Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ALL NONPRESCRIPTION REMEDIES LISTED HERE ARE AT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE!!!!!

First and foremost, nurse! On demand, no matter how long, no matter how often. BABY is the best supply booster you can have.

Be sure you have a real suppply problem rather than a perceived one. Pumping only two ounces at a session is normal and isn't a supply problem. Changing fewer than six diapers per day DOES indicate a real supply problem.

If you're already nursing around the clock and pumping frequently and are still changing fewer than six diapers per day, then you can look at different techniques to increase your supply.

1. Water. 64 ounces daily.

2. Oatmeal. For some reason this can increase supply. Bowl a day.

If those two don't work, and you are not diabetic (gestational diabetes doesn't count), then you can add the following items from the health food store:

3. Fenugreek. Two capsules, three times a day. WARNING: Fenugreek is not recommended for people with diabetes, thyroid problems, or people on blood thinners. It can cause internal bleeding and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

4. Mother's Milk Tea. As directed on the box. WARNING: Contains fenugreek

5. More Milk Tincture. As directed.

6. Blessed Thistle (someone please add the dosage?)

If you're still not seeing improvement, then you can see about calling in the big guns. By prescription only:

7. Reglan

8. Domperidone.

Whatever you do, NURSING is the most important component of your plan. No galactagogue will be effective if you're not giving your body the stimulation it needs. So put baby to breast as much as possible.

Please feel free to add to this post!

IF YOU HAVE  A QUESTION PLEASE POST IT SEPARATELY SO IT DOESN"T GET MISSED!

by on Oct. 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
kelcee_eric_bry
by on Oct. 11, 2007 at 2:31 PM
With my daughter my main concern was being able to have enough milk stored so she'd be ok when i was away.  i started out nursing, but with the post-pardum depression i found myself not enjoying bf'ing, actually hating it. so i decided for mine and my daughters relationship, i would excusivly pump, but then i got so stressed because i could only pump 4oz, which is normal, at a time and had NO back-up supply. so we decided to put her on formula for a week and freeze all the milk i stored that week, it helped with my stress so much&my relationship with my boyfriend and daughter, i wasnt so stressed. after giving her formula for a week i decided to see if she would latch on, and sure enough first time she was like a pro!, like shed been doing it all along. we now excusivly bf and i have a good back-up supply. i am not weighed down by a pump and we are doing great!, she is a pro at nursing and we love it....NOW THE SUPPLY PART OF IT----when i started my supply was low...now i have an over-supply from frequently pumping, its awesome!
Tish4
by on Oct. 11, 2007 at 2:34 PM
Thank you for the post! I am losing my supply even though he nurses all the time...it is definitly stress and I am trying really hard not to stress about stuff. I am going to try and find the Mother's Milk Tea and the oatmeal. I will have it for dinner tonight. And start with it in the morning tomorrow.
MamaBear36
by on Oct. 11, 2007 at 2:37 PM
I have offered the right side, and he fitfully will try it, but he gets upset that nothing is coming out.  Do you have the same problem as me then about the sizes? If so, what do you do about it?
MomToSage
by on Oct. 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Thankfully the right side nursing strike ended before a noticeable difference.  I can tell a little, but my husband says that he can't tell and so I'm not as worried about it.  Maybe try pumping lots on that right side to see if you can't build the supply back up and even yourself out so to speak. 
JumboNugget
by on Oct. 11, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. I swear you must have read my frantic mind! I was just coming to the site to post a question about how to increase my milk supply and ask about fenugreek that I keep reading about. 

Everything you listed just eased my mind.  I am not putting my son to the breast as often as i should because of his screaming at it.  I did meet with a lactation consultant yesterday and we did wonderfully, however there were two extra hands helping out.  For some reason, when we tried on our own last night screaming occurred (my son not me) ;-). 

Hopefully, pumping can help.  Thank you again.
Tristensmom313
by on Oct. 11, 2007 at 9:27 PM
Thanks!  This is really helpful!
Pammymommy
by on Oct. 12, 2007 at 12:32 AM
Thanks so much for the info....I have a two month old daughter and I was already getting sad because my supply is not keeping up with her....but I will try the techniques and see what happens.

Does anybody knows if I alternate with formula does my supply decreases???

Mae55555
by on Oct. 12, 2007 at 1:40 AM
Great info thanks!
Mandie81907
by on Oct. 12, 2007 at 1:44 AM
Thank you so much this is exactly the info i have been looking for
k.p.j.e.
by on Oct. 12, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Quoting Pammymommy:

Does anybody knows if I alternate with formula does my supply decreases???

Oh yeah it will! Almost for sure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN