Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ALL NONPRESCRIPTION REMEDIES LISTED HERE ARE AT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE!!!!!

First and foremost, nurse! On demand, no matter how long, no matter how often. BABY is the best supply booster you can have.

Be sure you have a real suppply problem rather than a perceived one. Pumping only two ounces at a session is normal and isn't a supply problem. Changing fewer than six diapers per day DOES indicate a real supply problem.

If you're already nursing around the clock and pumping frequently and are still changing fewer than six diapers per day, then you can look at different techniques to increase your supply.

1. Water. 64 ounces daily.

2. Oatmeal. For some reason this can increase supply. Bowl a day.

If those two don't work, and you are not diabetic (gestational diabetes doesn't count), then you can add the following items from the health food store:

3. Fenugreek. Two capsules, three times a day. WARNING: Fenugreek is not recommended for people with diabetes, thyroid problems, or people on blood thinners. It can cause internal bleeding and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

4. Mother's Milk Tea. As directed on the box. WARNING: Contains fenugreek

5. More Milk Tincture. As directed.

6. Blessed Thistle (someone please add the dosage?)

If you're still not seeing improvement, then you can see about calling in the big guns. By prescription only:

7. Reglan

8. Domperidone.

Whatever you do, NURSING is the most important component of your plan. No galactagogue will be effective if you're not giving your body the stimulation it needs. So put baby to breast as much as possible.

Please feel free to add to this post!

IF YOU HAVE  A QUESTION PLEASE POST IT SEPARATELY SO IT DOESN"T GET MISSED!

by on Oct. 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lepradee
by on Oct. 24, 2007 at 7:33 PM
Oh yeah, just something I remembered, antihistamines can hinder milk production.
mommamia007
by on Oct. 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Actually beef and caffine helps me

SteKing
by on Oct. 25, 2007 at 8:10 AM
Thanks for all of the info! i just joined this group and has similar questions. Where do you get mothers milk tea? My son (13 weeks) has been eating more sporadically (sometimes every 3 hours, 4 or even 5, then sometimes 2 and 1/2 !!) and it has been messing up my supply so i wanted to increase it. I also had a question as to when you should pump so that youstill have enough milk for your baby to eat at the next feeding. thanks!
A_J_Ismomma
by on Oct. 25, 2007 at 1:12 PM
I bought my mothers milk teas at rite aid. You can get some fancier stuff at health food stores but its so close to the same I wouldn't bother. 
I really struggled for over a month with my daughter with breast feeding.  She couldn't latch and my milk didn't come in for three days!!!  (I was taking sudafed up until delivery BIG NO NO!!) Then at one month she was hospitalized and diagnosed failure to thrive and with GERD.  Talk about depressed! I wanted to nurse her so bad but I was only allowed to pump and if she wasn't in the room with me I would only be able to pump about 1/2 and ounce.  Finally with the advice of my breastfeeding Nazi cousin I put her to my breast despite all the doctors orders (they wanted to make sure they knew exactly how much she was eating and when but I couldn't handle the depressed feeling of not feeding her) I pumped an hour after I put her to my breast and was able to get 6 oz!!!  WOW!! 
Now my little girl is 7 months and weighs 15 plus pounds!  I am thrilled. 
The biggest suggestion I would have is to never give up..no matter what!!  Find someone who will call you or stop by constantly to make sure you are sticking with it.  My cousin was a lifesaver..she called and emailed me several times a day
Oh and about the mothers milk teas, if you hate the taste, try making it with honey instead of sugar.  GOOD LUCK!!
Jamie
mommy2david
by on Oct. 26, 2007 at 12:58 AM
I started losing milk supply when my baby was 5 weeks old.  Lactation consultant told me to get an electric double pump and after my baby finished nursing, pump about 10 min to empty more.  I was also on Reglan and ate oatmeal every morning.  Then started Fenugreek but found it helped more when I took Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle together.  After a very low supply I actually made it 11 months BF.
isittoolate
by on Oct. 26, 2007 at 2:10 PM
My baby is 11 days old and i chose formula instead however she is having problems with it, i should od listened to others, however i wanted try and i dont know if its too late, if not howi can get strated?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Quoting SteKing:

Thanks for all of the info! i just joined this group and has similar questions. Where do you get mothers milk tea? My son (13 weeks) has been eating more sporadically (sometimes every 3 hours, 4 or even 5, then sometimes 2 and 1/2 !!) and it has been messing up my supply so i wanted to increase it. I also had a question as to when you should pump so that youstill have enough milk for your baby to eat at the next feeding. thanks!

In answer to your first question...get to know your local health food store. It has the tea and lots of other good things.

Best pumping output will be in the AM. You do NOT need to wait to feed. Milk is made while nursing. You don't "fill up."
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Quoting isittoolate:

My baby is 11 days old and i chose formula instead however she is having problems with it, i should od listened to others, however i wanted try and i dont know if its too late, if not howi can get strated?

Only too late when they surgically remove your breasts! Pu tht ebaby to breast. Toss the bottles.

Check out the kellymom.com article on getting baby back on the breast.
cali4niachef
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 12:05 AM
Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies

Ingredients :
* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking sodaa
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:
Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.

~ Cindy (mama to 25 month old nursling, childbirth junkie, coffee addict, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and aspiring midwife)

"It is curious commentary on our society that we tolerate all degrees of explicitness in our literature and mass media as regards sex and violence, but the normal act of breast feeding is taboo" - American Academy of Pediatrics

"If you don't know your options, you don't have any." - Diana Korte, A Good Birth, A Safe Birth
cali4niachef
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Quoting mommamia007:

Actually beef and caffine helps me

what? never heard that one, that's a first. odd.

~ Cindy (mama to 25 month old nursling, childbirth junkie, coffee addict, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and aspiring midwife) "It is curious commentary on our society that we tolerate all degrees of explicitness in our literature and mass media as regards sex and violence, but the normal act of breast feeding is taboo" - American Academy of Pediatrics "If you don't know your options, you don't have any." - Diana Korte, A Good Birth, A Safe Birth
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)