CafeMom is experiencing issues that should be resolved soon
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ALL NONPRESCRIPTION REMEDIES LISTED HERE ARE AT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE!!!!!

First and foremost, nurse! On demand, no matter how long, no matter how often. BABY is the best supply booster you can have.

Be sure you have a real suppply problem rather than a perceived one. Pumping only two ounces at a session is normal and isn't a supply problem. Changing fewer than six diapers per day DOES indicate a real supply problem.

If you're already nursing around the clock and pumping frequently and are still changing fewer than six diapers per day, then you can look at different techniques to increase your supply.

1. Water. 64 ounces daily.

2. Oatmeal. For some reason this can increase supply. Bowl a day.

If those two don't work, and you are not diabetic (gestational diabetes doesn't count), then you can add the following items from the health food store:

3. Fenugreek. Two capsules, three times a day. WARNING: Fenugreek is not recommended for people with diabetes, thyroid problems, or people on blood thinners. It can cause internal bleeding and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

4. Mother's Milk Tea. As directed on the box. WARNING: Contains fenugreek

5. More Milk Tincture. As directed.

6. Blessed Thistle (someone please add the dosage?)

If you're still not seeing improvement, then you can see about calling in the big guns. By prescription only:

7. Reglan

8. Domperidone.

Whatever you do, NURSING is the most important component of your plan. No galactagogue will be effective if you're not giving your body the stimulation it needs. So put baby to breast as much as possible.

Please feel free to add to this post!

IF YOU HAVE  A QUESTION PLEASE POST IT SEPARATELY SO IT DOESN"T GET MISSED!

by on Oct. 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Replies (681-689):
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Sounds like your doing a great job. I was just curious about the amount because a lot if moms think they need to increase the amount given as baby gets older and that's not the case. ;) I agree with G, maybe ask your sister to do more solids with her then this way the 6ozs your getting will be all that's needed. Or even look into reverse cycling.

Quoting Kenre:

Its always the breast milk first and then my sis gives her formula as she gets cranky. She told me that it was up to 16 ozs. She cares for my 4 kids and her step daughter- all 5 and under- so, I didn't push for exact numbers. She is giving solids when my daughter will take them, but she likes nursing more. My daughter only nurses with me so that I can keep my supply. My hours will drop down to 8 and only 5 days a week soon and I might be able to bring my supply back then.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Kenre:

She is getting sixteen ozs while I am gone 11 to 13 hours for 6 days a week.
Always 16 ounces? Becaiuse on the days you're gone eleven hours, it should be about 14 ounces. Then the 16 or those longer days. Sometimes it can help a bit to encourage the caregiver to stay within the limits.
My pumped supply is now only 6 ozs a day and won't increase.
Not surprising, really. 
I have her attached through the night and as much as I can on my day off. She now gets formula with the pumped milk since she needs to eat. I am just glad to still be nursing at all at 6 months. She is my 4th and they all had to go to supplement formula by 6 months.
Since she is six months, you can consider letting the caregiver do solids in place of the formula. You won't do any solids yourself. It could help out. But you're right, you've done wonderfully!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NollynsMommy14
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Princey1:

i've been drinking lot more than 64oz and started oetmeal today. 

I was told non alcoholic beer works too. so i'm  trying it today. I'm desperate to produce more milk now that my NB is nursing 4oz .

Your body produces whatever milk your baby needs when he's at breast, the pump only gets out what your body lets it. Trust your baby is getting enough! :) 

dbutterfly058
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I am struggling with my 6wk old dd. I made the mistake of going back to work too early. I had stored milk, but my darling mother who doesnt suppost bf decided to feed my dd formula to suppliment my milk. This has been happening for 3wks now. I do not have a problem with her latching, but she is never satisfied and i end up having to give her a bottle after bf when i am home. I can physically feel and see my supply dwindling and need to desperately get it back. I always bf first when i am home..I need a miricle. I am cutting my hrs to PT next week, so hopefully that will help, but i need a booster..Any suggestions, or am i too late in the run to enhance my supply? 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Quoting dbutterfly058:

I am struggling with my 6wk old dd.

Six weeks is a growth spurt and moms often think there's a problem where none exists.. let's take a look.

I made the mistake of going back to work too early. I had stored milk, but my darling mother who doesnt suppost bf decided to feed my dd formula to suppliment my milk.

Darling mother toes the line or gets fired and you find another caregiver. Flush the formula. Do it RIGHT NOW.

This has been happening for 3wks now. I do not have a problem with her latching, but she is never satisfied

Satisfied is a dirty word. Never use it in conjunction with an infant. Baby's job is NEVER to be satiosfied. Just leave her on the breast till she comes off on her own.

and i end up having to give her a bottle after bf when i am home.

Don't do that any more. Simply don't. It's a self-onflicted wound. Put her to breast. LEAVE her there as long as she wants to be there.

I can physically feel and see my supply dwindling and need to desperately get it back. I always bf first when i am home..I need a miricle.

Actually, you don't. You do need to stop shooting yourself in the foot, though. **smile** THose bottles are killing you so stop giving them right now.

I am cutting my hrs to PT next week, so hopefully that will help, but i need a booster..Any suggestions, or am i too late in the run to enhance my supply? 

You didn't chop your breasts off, so not too late. NO MORE BOTTLES from you. Only grandma gives them. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour from the bottle when you're gone... 8=10 ounces TOTAL in an eight hour workday.

Put baby to breast. Leave her there. No matter how long, no matter how often. Smash your clocks. Do NOT time the feedings. Put her to breast leave her rthere. She's supposed to be nursing most of her waking hours right now. That's normal. 

dbutterfly058
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Thank you. I am still trying and not giving up. I am just getting frustrated because she will latch for about 20 minutes, then pull herself off. I never give her a time limit to nurse. I get her to latch again whether it be same side or opposite, and she pulls herself off crying and it becomes an ongoing cycle..I pump when i am not available to her, and i have gone from pumping 3-5oz ea side, to 1.5 oz one one and 2oz on the other.. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dbutterfly058:

Thank you. I am still trying and not giving up. I am just getting frustrated because she will latch for about 20 minutes, then pull herself off.

Good!

I never give her a time limit to nurse. I get her to latch again whether it be same side or opposite, and she pulls herself off crying and it becomes an ongoing cycle..

Yep. Normal stuff! Know why we bond? Because normal newborns are VERY demanding unpleasant critters that we'd EAT otherwise!

I pump when i am not available to her, and i have gone from pumping 3-5oz ea side, to 1.5 oz one one and 2oz on the other.. 

Still above normal. Normal output is half an ounce to two ounces... BOTH sides put together. 

There's no supply problem here... just an expectations problem. You know that adorable Gerber baby in the commercials? Doesn't exist in the real world! It's just someone else's fantasy.

How are the dipes? I didn't see a mention of that anywhere.

dbutterfly058
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Her diapers are good. she still has 6+ wet diapers and 1-3 poopy diapers a day. I always thought my output should be more than that.. she just doesnt always seam content with what she is getting, unless its at noght and she is tired and falls asleep during a feeding..

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Then you're PERFECT. Except in your expectations. Real Babies don't act content. Real Babies are real pains. **grin**

Quoting dbutterfly058:

Her diapers are good. she still has 6+ wet diapers and 1-3 poopy diapers a day. I always thought my output should be more than that.. she just doesnt always seam content with what she is getting, unless its at noght and she is tired and falls asleep during a feeding..

MrsRudd
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Coconut oil
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)