Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need a breast pump?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM
  • 14 Replies

I plan on only breastfeeding when baby comes.. but I see alot of ladies posting about how they pump to keep up with milk supply. which kinda worries me as with my first two daughters I had issues with milk supply. and wondering if I'm going to NEED a breastpump in order to breastfeed my son?

Amy

Parent to Nadia(RIP 09/05-11/09), Sasha, and expecting #3!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:33 AM

If you stay home I don't think you really NEED a pump. Your baby is much more efficient at getting the milk out compared to a pump. Personally I like the option of having one just in case I want to go out without the baby for a bit and want to leave some milk just in case. It's also nice to have if you become engorged to help relieve some of the pressure if your baby is having trouble latching because of the engorgement or is asleep. I actually have a double electric pump that I used when I went back to work, but since I quit my job I've only used it once or twice because of engorgement (always due to my dd sleeping through a feeding). I also have a manual pump that works well if you just have an occasional need.

MumsTheWord571
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Are you planning on only breastfeeding straight from the tap? (yes? then no you don't need one) (no. Then yes).

Do you plan on going back to work? (yes? then yes you need one.) No- then no you don't need one.)

Some people do pump to up their supply, but usually that is not necessary. IF you have supply issues (which is more rare than you are led to believe) you can also use Fenugreek, Oatmeal and Mother's Milk Tea to up it.

I had planned to go back to work so I bought one (then my company allowed me to work from home, and then ultimately went out of business... so mine wasn't used as much as I thought it would be. Though it came in handy when DS had to have surgery and couldn't nurse for a whole day. Without it I would have been dying!

mama02040608
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:43 AM

I never pumped while at home.  Only when I was working and to get some milk for when I went back and/or when I was away from baby.  If you exclusively nurse on demand and avoid bottles in the early weeks, then you should have no problems with supply.  Often it's a perceived problem that really doesn't exist.  One diaper per day of life in the first week, 6-8 thereafter for the first few mos.  As long as your lo is filling diapers, your supply is fine. 

montessori_mama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I didn't buy one.  I figured if I decided it was necessary for some reason, I could go buy one at that time.  I haven't needed one yet and my baby is almost 3 months.  If you decide you need it, you can always go out and get it.

Ammie25
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I got a free pump thru Medicaid. I used it for engorgement issues, that have since gone away.

I am sure it'd be nice to have, as others have said, in case you want to leave breastmilk for a sitter.

MNLETLE
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM
No, you don't NEED a pump unless you are going to be working out of the home. (Even then you still don't HAVE to have one as you could always learn to hand express.) If you aren't having good milk supply, just put baby to breast more and NEVER schedule feedings.
SabrinaL
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

If you aren't working or don't plan on being away from the baby then I don't see why you would need one.  Even if you just wanted to go out for a short time here and there you could always express manually.

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM

You only need a pump to keep up milk supply if you're going to be away from your baby, or if you plan on using bottles at all. 

Best way to avoid milk supply issues is to nurse frequently (on demand), don't schedule feedings, and never use bottles. Avoiding pacifiers can also sometimes help.

A common question I hear is women asking if there's any foods that they should avoid out of fear of the foods decreasing supply. Answer: Yes. Infant formula or pumped milk, in bottles, fed to your baby. Surefire supply killer. :p 

What makes you think that you had supply issues with your first? Often women think that they have supply problems when they don't really. Doctors and nurses and pediatricians are horribly uneducated about breastfeeding and do all sorts of things that make women paranoid about their supply, or women pump and think that the pump output means that they're making too little milk, or that their breasts becoming soft is a sign of drying up. Or baby hits a growth spurt and starts fussing at the breast, and mom freaks out and gives a bottle which satisfies baby, and mom thinks she's not making enough... Which starts a vicious cycle of supplementing and supply destruction. 

You might like reading this old journal post of mine: http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2009/02/14/supply-and-demand-how-breasts-work/

queenamy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM

thanks ladies!

I guess i'll just wait and see type thing If I end up needing one

I believe I had supply issues with my first two daughters because I wasnt able to make milk lol.. I pumped every two hours on the dot and would get MAYBE close to 1oz.. and it slowly died down to nothing. i was really disapointed. I think it could have been that I changed breast pumps.. went from a hospital grade renting from my OB office to getting the WIC cheapy one. thats when I noticed it died out after the change

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Pumping amounst mean NOTHING!  Were you pumping only or nursing too?  If you were nursing too then I bet supply was fine.  Its normal for pumping amounts to go down.  Doesn't mean supply is going down.

Quoting queenamy:

thanks ladies!

I guess i'll just wait and see type thing If I end up needing one

I believe I had supply issues with my first two daughters because I wasnt able to make milk lol.. I pumped every two hours on the dot and would get MAYBE close to 1oz.. and it slowly died down to nothing. i was really disapointed. I think it could have been that I changed breast pumps.. went from a hospital grade renting from my OB office to getting the WIC cheapy one. thats when I noticed it died out after the change

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)