Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help!!!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

i need as much help as possible. i think my milk supply is running low. i have a 7 week old im trying to exclusively breastfeed but I am kind off having a hard time and end up giving formula at night because im afraid im not filling him up during the day. i breast feed on demand through out the day and i was wondering how i could make more milk. should i just start breastfeeding at night as well? i do eat oatmeal during the day but i notice it doesnt work, anything else that can help me. i do have fenugreek but i dont know how many to take. please ladies give me some much needed advice.thanks in advance!!! also how would i know if he is not getting full??

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MumsTheWord571
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Quoting gmzana:

i need as much help as possible. i think my milk supply is running low. i have a 7 week old im trying to exclusively breastfeed but I am kind off having a hard time and end up giving formula at night because im afraid im not filling him up during the day.

What makes you think that you are not filling him up? Is he fussing and wanting to nurse constantly? if so, that is normal- you are at about the time of his first big growth spurt. 6 to 8 diapers a day and he is getting plenty! The formula is hurting your supply. The more formula you give the less Breastmilk you make!

i breast feed on demand through out the day and i was wondering how i could make more milk. should i just start breastfeeding at night as well?

You should nurse on demand all the time- day and night.

i do eat oatmeal during the day but i notice it doesnt work, anything else that can help me. i do have fenugreek but i dont know how many to take. please ladies give me some much needed advice.thanks in advance!!! also how would i know if he is not getting full??

Again. diaper count. 6 to 8 and he is getting plenty!

cjsix
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM

First stop the formula...you little one is probly going through a growth spurt and needs to nurse as often as possible(on demand as you are doing during the day) he is going to nurse more frequently for a little bit until your milk supply increases to where he now needs it. Fenegreek is suppose to be good for increasing supply(I don't know how much for tabs,I drank Traditional Medicinal's Mother's Milk Tea) and I'm hearing the moms here talking about oatmeal...the other thing is make sure you are drinking enough,when you sit down to nurse have a glass(or I used to use a quart jar) of water,juice etc... Six or more wet diapers(cloth is the easiest way to see this but,if you check disposables frequently you should be able to find when they first wet)is the sign to look for that they are getting enough milk. God bless you !

JJRsMomma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Yeah, why do you feel he isn't getting enough? I'd also stop formula feeding and nurse on demand @ night too.

sodapple
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM
i also have a 7 week old, he's probably going through a growth spurt and you neede to keep him on your breast as much as you can so you can keep up with him. i have notice that if i give my baby formula it delays her bowels. just do diaper count and keep up the good job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Breastfeed ON DEMAND. No more formula. Count dipes. 6-8 per day means he IS geting enough.

DO NOT LOOK FOR HIM TO BE SATISFIED. That is an impossible marker.  Just count the dipes. If he's UNSATISFIED that is best for supply. Happy babies are evil! **grin**

gmzana
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM

thank you guys so much for the advice...i will keep in mind the diaper changes. i feel much better and since last night i stopped the formula feedings. thanks!!!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Quoting gmzana:

i need as much help as possible. i think my milk supply is running low.

based on what??

i have a 7 week old im trying to exclusively breastfeed but I am kind off having a hard time and end up giving formula at night because im afraid im not filling him up during the day.

ahhh gotta change the mindset, forget "during the day" and "filling him up" , think enough fluid in enough fluid out..diapers are what counts

i breast feed on demand through out the day and i was wondering how i could make more milk. should i just start breastfeeding at night as well?

YEAH for every drop that he gets thats not from you, your body make less...so every time you give a bottle of milk imagine you are telling your breast that is how much less they need to produce

i do eat oatmeal during the day but i notice it doesnt work, anything else that can help me.

it works fine, the formula is sabotaging your supply..NOTHING can raise supply while you continue to sabotage it...milk out= milk made

i do have fenugreek but i dont know how many to take.

9-12 pills daily BUT it won't do a thing if you continue to suppliment when its NOT needed

please ladies give me some much needed advice.thanks in advance!!! also how would i know if he is not getting full??

its not about being full..this is a bad misconception.  Its about getting the right amount to thrive..and diapers tell you that. 6-8 wet or messy daily

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)