Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*UPDATE* 9 months and Not getting Enough

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:47 AM
  • 12 Replies

My baby is not wetting enough diapers unless I give him lots of water. If I don't give water he will only slightly dampen 3 diapers per day. He even wakes up dry in the mornings. His stool is also hard and difficult to pass. My breasts do not feel empty or soft after nursing. He never seems satisfied. I can pump 3 oz out of each breast but I don't think that's enough for Carter.

He is 9 months old. Should I supplement with formula?

UPDATE:

How often do you nurse?  I nurse all day and night it seems. About 8 times or so in 24 hours...at least. He uses me as a pacifier in the evening when my milk seems lowest. In the morning, he stays attached and calmly eats for a good amount of time.

Do you give solids? How much? Yes. He eats 2-3 times per day but I'm not sure how much actually gets into his tummy.

Do you nurse before solids? Yes.

How much have you been giving in water?  When and how often? he drinks about 6 oz of water per day. Even more if I add corn syrup for constipation.

Is he meeting milestones?  Gaining weight? So far he is meeting milestones and gaining weight. However, this is a fairly new problem. I've been taking Allegra for allergies for months. It wasn't affecting my supply before but now...it might be ??? IDK.

Before solids, Carter would soak through every diaper at night and I would have to change his sheets. He would also soak a prefold in 2 hours. Now he can wear the same prefold for 5 hours and hardly be wet.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yakamoz
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Am I right to assume you are giving him solids in addition to breastfeeding?

If so, what was diaper count like before you started solids?  Is this a new issue?  How long has it been going on?

Does he use a pacifier instead of doing non-nutritive sucking at the breast? 

I think formula is a God-send for moms and babies who really need it.  I guess I would just want to rule out any problems that can possibly be fixed before deciding to supplement.

And, if for some reason, you really DO need to supplement, do it, but I would encourage you to use a feeder system that keeps the baby on the breast, to help avoid nipple confusion AND to prevent your supply from decreasing even further: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM

At 9 months old if you're able to get 3oz from each breast while pumping, I'd skip formula and would give him the pumped milk in addition to what he gets at the breast. 

What solids is he eating? Is he outside playing a lot? How often does he nurse? 

Slightly damp diapers 3x/day is definitely not enough. 

michellina124
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

How is his weight gaining?  I would not supplement formula I would just nurse then pump after and give him that till you build up more milk,  since pumping seems to work for you.  My sister only gets 6 oz total for her 16 month old,  so IDK.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Quoting hopinforanother:

My baby is not wetting enough diapers unless I give him lots of water.

please don't do this 2-4oz of water a day, anything over that can cause a BIG issue

If I don't give water he will only slightly dampen 3 diapers per day.

he needs more than that for sure

He even wakes up dry in the mornings. His stool is also hard and difficult to pass. My breasts do not feel empty or soft after nursing. He never seems satisfiedhic.

if he does not seem satisfied you should offer the breast again, you are never emopty

I can pump 3 oz out of each breast but I don't think that's enough for Carter.

3 oz from each breast is 6 oz total..thats 6 hours worth of milk...3 oz every 3 hours is all he needs so you pump enough to be perfect.  YOU seem to have a good supply, but he seems to not be getting it

He is 9 months old. Should I supplement with formula?

first lets see some answers to these questions

How often do you nurse?  HOw many times a day?

Do you give solids? How much?

Do you nurse before solids?

How much have you been giving in water?  When and how often?

Is he meeting milestones?  Gaining weight?

hopinforanother
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM

BUMP!

alotta_fagina
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM

This sounds odd because there's been no decrease in supply from what it sounds and he is nursing a lot. I don't know momma, but here's a bump for you.

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM

What type of solids is he eating? Sometimes solids can cause constipation and the body will try to re-direct liquids to move the poop along.This can sometimes result in decreased urine output.

Is his pee concentrated/smelly? At 3 damp diapers per day, you'd expect smelly concentrated pee. If he's outside a lot or hot a lot, he might be sweating his liquids out, too. If he's been swimming he may be peeing more in the pool or bath, and less into diapers. Is any of that a possibility? 

Has his behavior changed at all? Or is it just the constipation and fewer wets? 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Quoting Gruntlings:

What type of solids is he eating? Sometimes solids can cause constipation and the body will try to re-direct liquids to move the poop along.This can sometimes result in decreased urine output.

Is his pee concentrated/smelly? At 3 damp diapers per day, you'd expect smelly concentrated pee. If he's outside a lot or hot a lot, he might be sweating his liquids out, too. If he's been swimming he may be peeing more in the pool or bath, and less into diapers. Is any of that a possibility? 

Has his behavior changed at all? Or is it just the constipation and fewer wets? 

BabyBoyMatthew
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM

hmm.....

what kind of solids is he eating certian food really does constipate. are you getting 3oz per breast or total? is this before or after a feeding?

trebelcleff
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

The corn syrup helps draw liquid into his intestines to soften the poop and move it along... that could be one reason he's not wetting as much.  Did you try feeding him prunes to help with constipation?  As far as water, you might want to consider pedialyte instead... not to say he's getting too much water, but if he happens to, it can cause him to not be able to absorb the nutrients in breastmilk or food, and it can lower sodium levels dangerously.  the pedialyte will put electrolytes back in, won't mess with the sodium levels, and doesn't have an effect on absorbing nutrients.  But even this shouldn't be given in great quantities!  Also, stay away from bananas and rice if you can... they help firm poop, so if he's getting these often that may be causing it.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)