Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beginner with some questions. :)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:07 AM
  • 3 Replies

Miss Madelyn will be 12 days old today and is exclusively breastfed :) But it seems like we are having some issues as of late. She spits up, a lot. She has done this since day 1, but this morning it got to the point where she spit up most of what she ate at one point. I do have a lot of milk(to the point where I can pump 5 oz in 5 minutes after she's done eating)- is it possible that the flow is too much, too fast? Is it something I'm eating(I don't notice any patterns)?

We go in for a weight check today and I'm hoping she'll do well.

She's an extremely calm baby, where she doesn't even cry normally, so I think it would be really hard to tell if she was uncomfortable. Sometimes it seems like her belly is a little unsettled, but it doesn't REALLY bother her.

Any suggestions?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
QueenFelicia
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM

my son spit up A LOT until he was like 5 months old! i never noticed anything specific in my diet that bothered him, and was told it always looks like WAY more than it is :) i was so worried the first couple of weeks that he wasnt getting enough food since he spit up so much and then at the 2 week appt he had gained a ton already! i think spit up is generally just messy and nothing to worry about if your baby doesnt seem uncomfortable!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Gruntlings
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Sounds like overactive supply or hyperactive letdown. You can try block feeding where you feed on one side for several feeds in a row. Just pump the unused side JUST ENOUGH to relieve discomfort. Then switch to the other side and use that breast for a few feeds in a row. 

Your baby might also need to be burped if she tends to suck a lot of air at the breast. Try burping just before the feed, then pop her off occasionally to burp during the feed. See if that helps at all. 

How are her poops? Yellow and seedy? Green? Frothy? 

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Poops are yellow/orangish and seedy. She seems kind of all around fussy today, so maybe it's just a really off day for her. I do burp her between breasts but sometimes she'll fall asleep and it's impossible to wake her to feed off the other breast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)