Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weight check!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM
  • 6 Replies

my little guy is 4 weeks old now and we took him to the doctor for a weight check to have his meds adjusted (he has acid reflux) and he weighs 10 lbs 14 oz! he was born weighing 8 lbs 3 oz..and he got down to 7lbs 13 oz a couple days after birth so  he has gained a lot! and he is EBF..both my boys gained weight like this, does it mean i am feeding him to much ( I dont even think its possible to feed a breastfed baby to much?) or do my boys just gain weight faster than some other babies??

here is my cute chubby guy :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

My guy is 5 weeks today! He was 7lbs 2 oz at birth and never lost more than 1 oz, he is now 9lbs 4 oz as of Tuesday.

BIG weight gain in the beginning is normal and is often caused by oversupply, it will level out on its on.  NO you are NOT overfeeding him.  Just stick with what works!

natalies_mama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

oh myyyyy!  he's so precious!  :}  

BUMP!

luna08
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

he is perfect(besides the reflux poor guy :( ) keep nursing as much as he wants ;) babies are suposed to be chubby! every baby is diffrent and gain weight difrently and i dont bealive yoiu can over feed a ebf baby, they have two diffrent sucks one is  for getting food and youll hear the gulp which means there swallowing and thne another is for comfort which there not getting anything its kinda like a pacifier. :)

Kimmybeth
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I guess it's not impossible to overfeed a bf baby, but I'm with you in thinking that they really don't get overfed.  In fact, Alexandra never unlatched on her own after a feeding when she was newborn.  She was a SLOW eater.  Anyway, once she got older & more efficient & actually did start regularly unlatching when she was full, I remember once thinking she couldn't have been on long enough to be full.  She normally took 15 min to eat (though now it's 10) and she only ate for 5 minutes.  Well, she must've gotten a lot quick because I tried to get her to latch again, she did.  She ate a LITTLE bit more and then spit up all over me.  *LOL*  I've learned that if she "pops off" more than three times then she's done.  I don't always put her back on until the third time, just if I think she seemed distracted as a reason to unlatch or if I didn't hear her eat much. 

My baby girl was born at 6 pounds 13 ounces.  I can't remember right now how much weight she lost.  But by 1 month she was 10 pounds!  She's now 7 months & 1 week old.  2 weeks ago she had her 6 month appointment (a bit late) and weighed 20 pounds 2 ounces.  I'm not worried because I know that once she starts to walk she'll lose the weight or at least she'll level out with her weight and will gain more slowly.  Also, I've read recently in a Parents magazine that babies gain weight more slowly starting around 6 months of age.

rileysmommy229
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

thanks everyone! he will come off the breast when he full and he only eats for 5-10 minutes at each feeding (on one breast)

luna08
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

sounds like hes a effecent eater! good job little man!

Quoting rileysmommy229:

thanks everyone! he will come off the breast when he full and he only eats for 5-10 minutes at each feeding (on one breast)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)