Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I pump once night feeds are weaned?????????? Update in Blue*Update again!!!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am currently working on weaning out my sons night feeds, tonight will be the last time I wake and feed him throughout the night. I was wondering if I should pump before I go to bed to keep my supply up?  He is still mostly BF and is fed 2 "meals" of fruits and veggies now. But I am giving him one sippy cup of expressed milk a day so that he will get used to it, whcih he is doing great with :)

I didn't bother waking him up, he slept from 7:45 till 8:15 this morning!!!!! I'm so so proud of my little man

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM

nak & eating lunch......I wouldn't. your supply should be fine. How old is baby? my 15 month old still nurses at night lol

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Personally I don't think its wise to wean a baby from night feedings until they are atleast a year old. If you pump at night then you will need to wake up anyways, not to mention worry about cleaning bottles etc.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Your supply will adjust just fine.

Megs123
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

He is fine without the night feedings, he used to sleep all night 11 hours plus and didn't wake for feeding but I had been spoiling him with putting him on the boob as soon as he fussed even a little, we have been weaing for the past week he goes to bed at 7:30 and I wake him at 2:30 and feed him ( started out with 15 mins, then 13 mins, then 11 mins, then 9 mins, then 7 mins and then last night for only 5) and he sleeps until 7 am. So tonight he will be feeding for 3 minutes when I wake him up and then tomorrow I will just let him sleep all night. (hopefully)

He is almost 7 months old and 19 pounds, so there is really no need for him to have a feed throughout the night anymore. He gets fed and hour before bedtime and then again right before bed so he is nice and full for the night

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Hell, no. Supply always adjusts.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Feeding at night is not spoiling him..he MAY need it from time to time especially at growth spurts, just a warning, 7 months is awful young to wean from night nursing not on their own.

Don't pump for missed night nursings it will take care of itself.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I agree

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Feeding at night is not spoiling him..he MAY need it from time to time especially at growth spurts, just a warning, 7 months is awful young to wean from night nursing not on their own.

Don't pump for missed night nursings it will take care of itself.

LorisChar
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

My doctor told me NOT to stop night feedings. If the baby sleeps through the night, do NOT wake him up. If he's hungry he'll wake on his own. This is what I've been doing. Sean is already sleeping through the night most of the time (8 pm till 7 am). But there are still nights that he wakes up and needs that feeding. Your supply will adjust to whatever baby's eating habits/schedule are (for me, it took awhile for that to sink in).

Oh, My son will be 7 months on the 9th.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)