Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too late?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

DD won't take a bottle... She's 5 1/2 mo and since she was 8 weeks old she has refused to take a bottle.  We started giving her bottles of breast milk when she was 4 weeks old and all of a sudden when she turned 8 weeks, she started refusing any bottles.  We tried every bottle on the market.  I left the house and gave her to my mom or DH to feed her the bottle, and she would scream for hours until I came home and fed her.  We started solids with her at the 4 1/2 month mark, but she eats her solids and then wants to be BF a little while after. 

Is it too late to try the bottle again?  I would love to be able to go out with DH for a date, but I can't leave DD with anyone because of this whole bottle issue.  We also tried the sippy cups with the soft tips, but we got the same reaction with those.  Does anyone have any suggestions or encouragement?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bren07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

sorry i have no help or anything. my son hates bottle to this day. they are fun toys for him but hates them if anyone tries to feed him with them..he is 10months old and still refuses a bottle. he will drink water or juice from a sippy but no BM..
but i do have to say solids should always come AFTER nursing. never before.. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Its not to late per se but maybe takes a different way of seeing things.

I need to point out you should always nurse BEFORE solids.

Your daughter is not screaming because she is starving, if she was starving she'd take that bottle or sippy.  Nurse before you leave to go somewhere and then leave a bottle or sippy of BM and solids.  They can give solids instead of the sippy or before the sippy is she wants it and will take it.

The nursing after solids is more for comfort than anything and she can be given a pacifier ro be comforted other ways.  Food is not the way to comfort from anything but the breast.

My son took 4oz in 8 hour when I worked..he mostly took solids.  Your daughter will be fine, it just takes patience on the caregivers part.

iushosh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM
I didn't know the nursing before solids thing. Thank you for that info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Quoting iushosh:

I didn't know the nursing before solids thing. Thank you for that info.

I didn't either til I read more into Bfing info...same with generally solids are not supposed to be started til 6 months either.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-how.html

iushosh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM
Dr said we could start solids with her after 4 months if she had doubled her birth weight, could sit up well in a bumbo or high chair, and could roll over consistently. She was at that point at 4 1/2 months and was really interested in food. All signs she was ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Do you know who teaches doctors about infant nutrition? Not med school. Gerber, Beech-Nut et al. Makes the info suspect.

Tabi steeredyou in the right direction. I'll add...you needn't do bottles. Sippy cups are FINE at this age. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips the cup, baby sips.

Quoting iushosh:

Dr said we could start solids with her after 4 months if she had doubled her birth weight, could sit up well in a bumbo or high chair, and could roll over consistently. She was at that point at 4 1/2 months and was really interested in food. All signs she was ready.

iushosh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM
I never thought about removing the valve. I'll try that the next time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pghmomma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

My son hated bottles too.  We didn't even try to give him one until 6 months when I went back to work.  And that was a fight.  He will drink from the Adiri.  That's it though.  That one he at least sucked on for 3 seconds before screaming the rest he wouldn't suck at all.   My mother said it was a fight at first but after 2 weeks he got better with it.  He just had to deal.  I was gone for 11 hours a day.  I never moved him past the 1st stage one.  He choked on the fast flow nipples.  The first sippie he actaully sucked on was the Nuby with the soft silicone spout.  http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393932  The ones with the harder spouts and valves didn't stay in his mouth long enough to be sucked on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)