Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

refuesing a bottle and sippy cup

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM
  • 2 Replies

my baby is almost 8mths old. ive been exclusivly breastfeeding. well times are getting tough so i had to get a part time waiting tables at a local restrant. I have been giving her some solids and she isnt nursing as much. when i get a chance to i pump for her to have a good supply. Well last night was my first longer night working and its only going to get longer when they have me do 12 hour shifts for overnight. i work when my dh is home, so he is taking care of her as well as our other children, hes really steping it up. well last night, she refeued the bottle, he said its like she didnt get it. i have reg. bottles and i have the ones in the shape of a boob. well, he tried both and she kind of took the boob one but still wont take it. ive been working on her all day to tryto get her use to a bottle, and she just wont take it, ive tried sippy cups and she coughs it up. any ideas. help

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
pghmomma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Well I doubt she'll take it from you, ever.  My son won't.  Mine was the same way.   He was 6 months when I went back to work and had never had anything but a breast prior to that.  He will only take an Adiri.  It took about 2 weeks my mom said until he stopped putting up a huge fight.  She just has to deal with it.  It'll get better but not overnight.    She'll take it if she really is hungry.  She'll quickly figure out that it's that or nothing and adjust. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Quoting chamelinmom:

my baby is almost 8mths old. ive been exclusivly breastfeeding. well times are getting tough so i had to get a part time waiting tables at a local restrant. I have been giving her some solids and she isnt nursing as much.

never replace nursings with solids, nurse before all solids..everytime

when i get a chance to i pump for her to have a good supply. Well last night was my first longer night working and its only going to get longer when they have me do 12 hour shifts for overnight.

do you pump at work??

i work when my dh is home, so he is taking care of her as well as our other children, hes really steping it up.

awesome hubby!

well last night, she refeued the bottle, he said its like she didnt get it. i have reg. bottles and i have the ones in the shape of a boob. well, he tried both and she kind of took the boob one but still wont take it.

common, she will most likely nurse to make up for it when you are home.  Reverse cycling, its common.  THINK a baby can sleep 8-10 hours at night without nursing or bottles and be ok...

ive been working on her all day to tryto get her use to a bottle, and she just wont take it, ive tried sippy cups and she coughs it up. any ideas. help

YOU do not give bottles, never never, only when you are gone should they be offered.  Bottles are easy they don't take training or learning.  She may be better with a soft spout sippy or straw though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)