Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too much lipase?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

if you have too much lipase in your milk, which i think i do.... do you have to scald the milk before putting in the fridge and freezing? or just before freezing?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM

What can I do if my storage problem is due to excess lipase? Once the milk becomes sour or rancid smelling/tasting, there is no known way to salvage it. However, newly expressed milk can be stored by heating the milk to a scald to inactivate the lipase and stop the process of fat digestion. Scald the milk as soon after expression as possible.

To scald milk:

• Heat milk to about 180 F (82 C), or until you see little bubbles around the edge of the pan (not to a full, rolling boil).
  • Quickly cool and store the milk.

Scalding the milk will destroy some of the antiinfective properties of the milk and may lower some nutrient levels, but this is not likely to be an issue unless all of the milk that baby is receiving has been heat-treated.

Per Lawrence & Lawrence, bile salt-stimulated lipase can also be destroyed by heating the milk at 144.5 F (62.5 C) for one minute (p. 205), or at 163 F (72 C) for up to 15 seconds (p. 771).

Ashley7805
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:36 AM

thank you :] anyone know what causes this? seems like a hassel to store milk now, adding that extra step to everytime i pump... i only get 2oz at a time.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Your output is NOT an only....it's normal. But your profile says SAHM? No need to put yourself through the trouble unless you're going back to work (and I also notice "I'm a nurse!" there so it seems congrats are in order).

Ashley7805
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Thank you :] I'll have to change that, I got a job yesterday and I'll be starting monday. It's only part time but I have 2 weeks orientation mon-fri 9-5 soo I'm a little nervous about leaving my son because he still refuses the bottle. I'm going to try scalding the milk and see if that helps any... Thank goodness for my husband though, he's going to bring my son to me on my lunch break so I can nurse him so I know he will be getting something at least.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM

When he refuses the bottle, are you present? That's usually the problem. Mom has to disappear completely.

Ashley7805
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM

i am usually gone but i have just been in the other room before. he has gotten him to take an ounce a few times though, but no more than that.

MelaniesMama
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM

How do you kno if you have too much Lipase?

Ashley7805
by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM

the milk gets a funny smell or taste after being stored. i'm not sure if i have it or not, my son now drinks milk stored in the fridge but once its been frozen then thawed he doesnt like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)