Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really Mom??? (vent)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM
  • 3 Replies

UUUGH, today my Mom (who I'm living with while my husband is deployed) and I somehow got on the topic of nursing. I'm almost 32 weeks pregnant and I was showing my Mom my left breast because if some coloration changes I just discovered (aah, the wonders of being pregnant). My 5 year old was in the room and my Mom stated that the only reason it was ok to pull my shirt up like that was because it was just us family- which I agree with, I don't want my daughter running around showing off her boobs to everyone, lol. But I chimed in, "Unless I'm feeding the baby." My Mom was like, "well even then you'd have a blanket or something covering you up..." Um, NO Mom, sorry...doubling tanks and a baby is more than enough coverage. She proceeded to tell me that was extremely rude- she feels nursing IS a natural thing BUT: so is sex and peeing and pooping and she has never done those in a room full of people, all I had to do is cover with a blanket and that would make it "ok". I laughed and told her that those functions were totally unrelated to nursing, and once I get the hang of it I don't plan on using a cover- I'm due in JULY! She then told me that was fine but that I shouldn't make any plans to go out in public with her and EVER do that- so we didn't need to make plans until after the baby is one. If thats how she feels- OK with me! I'm not going to change my child's eating habits because it make my Mom uncomfortable. Not that it's going to be my goal to nurse in public, but if baby's gotta eat, Baby's GONNA eat. UGH. Just frustrating.  

Join us! An active group for Mom's who are, or have been through, a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM

SIGH, sadly people believe what they believe and ist very hard to change minds..

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM

" She then told me that was fine but that I shouldn't make any plans to go out in public with her and EVER do that- so we didn't need to make plans until after the baby is one."

"OK, mom. That's fine. Not a problem."

She will miss it more than you will.

Ferdymom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Sad, but understandable, I had no problem nursing my daughter next to my dad(which I lived with my parents at the time) but with my inlaws they made me feel a little uncomfortable nursing around, but they got over it, and so did I, now with number 3(plus one stepson) I'm going to do the same, with the exception of church. I do feel it's right to cover.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)