Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pumping for my preemie

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM
  • 4 Replies

hello, my names brenda im pumping for my 32 weeker who was born monday. hes in the nicu breathing well and eating 8cc's of breastmilk every 3 hrs. i have 16 bottles in the freezer ranging from 1-2 oz a piece. i wanna know how to make my milk come in faster. the lactation consultant told me im still producing and it could take another day but i HATE the fact they have to give him formula when they run out of my milk. any tips on how to boost supply?

im pumping every 2-3 hrs and i get up every 3 hrs at night. im putting a hot rag on my breasts 10 min before pumping. im eating oatmeal and drinking lots of water

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Quoting yummy_mommy89:

hello, my names brenda im pumping for my 32 weeker who was born monday. hes in the nicu breathing well and eating 8cc's of breastmilk every 3 hrs.thats not much... i have 16 bottles in the freezer ranging from 1-2 oz a piece. COOL...keep em comingi wanna know how to make my milk come in faster. keep on pumpingthe lactation consultant told me im still producing and it could take another day but i HATE the fact they have to give him formula when they run out of my milk.why are they running out of milk? 8cc is not much every 3 hours thats 2.1 oz a day, whya re they having to give formula if you have atleast 16 oz in the fridge? any tips on how to boost supply?eat oatmeal, take 9-12 fenugreek a day, drink loads of water, pump every 2-3 hours, use berast compression and massage while pumping, try hand expressing after pumping(Marmet techinique google it), smell baby while pumping...clothes blanket etc, it can tak 5-7 days for milk to come in you are doing great

im pumping every 2-3 hrs and i get up every 3 hrs at night. im putting a hot rag on my breasts 10 min before pumping. im eating oatmeal and drinking lots of water

You are doing ALL you can, not sure why they are having to give formula thats kinda strange with the low amounts hes getting.  Make sure to ask them to finger feed or syringe feed instead of bottles...if possible.

yummy_mommy89
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM

i was discharged yesterday and didnt have much milk there. the 16 bottles is what i have to take to the nicu tonight. hes on a feeding tube right now. he cant get the hang of sucking yet. i did get to syringe feed him his first feeding and he kept choking they didnt want to chance him aspirating. im doing the hand massage and hand expressing after pumping as well. and im gonna pump tonight at the nicu also.

thank you!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM

You are doing what you can do!  YOu are awesome!  Keep up the good work, it is sooo worth it.

I think you are ahead of the game now and he won't need more formula if you continue to pump.  Keep it up!  Tube feedings is better than aspirating for SURE!  It may be a few weeks til he can suck, thats ok.

Quoting yummy_mommy89:

i was discharged yesterday and didnt have much milk there. the 16 bottles is what i have to take to the nicu tonight. hes on a feeding tube right now. he cant get the hang of sucking yet. i did get to syringe feed him his first feeding and he kept choking they didnt want to chance him aspirating. im doing the hand massage and hand expressing after pumping as well. and im gonna pump tonight at the nicu also.

thank you!!

yummy_mommy89
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM

thank you. i have never pumped before till now and i know its so worth it!! i was told i can wait longet at night to  pump but i still set my alarm to get up every 3 hrs so that i can get on the routine for when he does get to come home. whenever that may be

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

You are doing what you can do!  YOu are awesome!  Keep up the good work, it is sooo worth it.

I think you are ahead of the game now and he won't need more formula if you continue to pump.  Keep it up!  Tube feedings is better than aspirating for SURE!  It may be a few weeks til he can suck, thats ok.

Quoting yummy_mommy89:

thank you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)