Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wants to nurse ALL day!!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 13 month old has ben really crabby the last few days. If she isn't getting into trouble then she is hanging on me begging to nurse. It seems that is ALL she wants to do this week. It is making me insane! She cries and whines and says "nert! nert! nert!". She isn't sick either. HELP!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Set limits. Tell her "not now. After Barney,' and stick with it. Give her something to distract her, and timeposts she can understand when nursing is allowed, in order to delay her. And tell her she will not be able to nurse until that timepost.

She will continue bugging you until she sees that you're serious about those timeposts. Tell her firmly you will not nurse until Barney is over, for example, but be prepared to sit and nurse the instant it IS over.

It's fine to set limits.

SoniaL
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Thank you! I wasn't sure if I could do that now or not. Wasn't sure if she understood. But I guess part of her understanding it is the process of actually doing it. Is it ok to nurse during a not "normal/typical" nursing time as long as i am not just doing it whenever she demands? Like, say she is begging while I am prepping dinner and she normally wouldn't nurse until after dinner (which would be about bedtime for her) but I tell her once i get the potatoes in the oven I will nurse her. That ok??

I am glad you answered this...I posted it in the toddlers section of the Questions. Got some BAD answers. Of course one of them was "Time to wean".

One actually said I should try pumping and giving her a bottle for a while because maybe she was just wanting to be close to me. WHAT?????

Quoting gdiamante:

Set limits. Tell her "not now. After Barney,' and stick with it. Give her something to distract her, and timeposts she can understand when nursing is allowed, in order to delay her. And tell her she will not be able to nurse until that timepost.

She will continue bugging you until she sees that you're serious about those timeposts. Tell her firmly you will not nurse until Barney is over, for example, but be prepared to sit and nurse the instant it IS over.

It's fine to set limits.

bubbbaNbabygirl
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM

are you sure she's not getting teeth?  my little girl wants to be attached to me literally ALL day when she is getting a tooth   and my son was exactly the same way

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Quoting SoniaL:

Thank you! I wasn't sure if I could do that now or not.

Oh, yeah. Limit setting starts early.

Wasn't sure if she understood. But I guess part of her understanding it is the process of actually doing it.

Precisely.

Is it ok to nurse during a not "normal/typical" nursing time as long as i am not just doing it whenever she demands? Like, say she is begging while I am prepping dinner and she normally wouldn't nurse until after dinner (which would be about bedtime for her) but I tell her once i get the potatoes in the oven I will nurse her. That ok??

You can do that.

I am glad you answered this...I posted it in the toddlers section of the Questions. Got some BAD answers. Of course one of them was "Time to wean".

One actually said I should try pumping and giving her a bottle for a while because maybe she was just wanting to be close to me. WHAT?????

The Answers section is the WORST PLACE to get breastfeeding answers, I swear. Tabi and I  patrol that section just to watch out for things like this!

SoniaL
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM

This is possible though it hadn't occurred to me before. She has a raised up section of gums that I told DH a few days ago looks like she may be getting another tooth.

Quoting bubbbaNbabygirl:

are you sure she's not getting teeth?  my little girl wants to be attached to me literally ALL day when she is getting a tooth   and my son was exactly the same way

new_mom808
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Quoting SoniaL:

This is possible though it hadn't occurred to me before. She has a raised up section of gums that I told DH a few days ago looks like she may be getting another tooth.

Quoting bubbbaNbabygirl:

This is ALWAYS what that behavior means in my house. LOL, but it's so infrequent now that usually when DH & I are both about to pull our hair out one of us finally remembers. Ahhh TEETH!!

Sasha907
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Thanks for asking/answering this question. My 13 month old son had been weaning back to nights only (i work during the day) to wanting to be ATTACHED the instant I get home. Lo and behold a top tooth (his 3rd) has finally broken through!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)