Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing the bottle...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM
  • 4 Replies

A lactation consultant told me to stick to strickly breastfeeding the first three weeks, then after that, have someone else give LO a bottle every so often, so that she knows it is another way to eat. That way, if I need to use that option in the future, she won't be completely against it.

It's been almost 3 weeks now, but I will probably give it a good month before I attempt introducing a bottle. I don't plan on bottlefeeding as a supplement. Purely so that she gets used to having one, so I can let dad feed her once in a while, as well as for any babysitting instances that might come up in the future.

So how often would you suggest bottlefeeding?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I don't see a point...but if you want to then go for it.

I don't think giving a bottle will make it any easier on baby if baby needed to take one.  Bottles are easier than nursing so there no learning needed.

Maybe daddy can give a bottle once a week and let you sleep in, but that could lead to engorgement on your part.

Giving a bottle here and there will not prevent baby from refusing one when you go out though

MDT09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Went back to work part-time at 5 weeks so, introduced a few bottles beforehand... she takes both just fine, I guess all babies are different.

Gecko85
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I would say not to give it at more than six weeks. because any later than that and your LO will be  settled in and may not take a bottle.

LylahBellesMom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:02 AM

i wouldnt do a bottle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)