Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teeth marks on bottom of nipples! Ouch!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son is 27 months old. He shows absolutely no interest in weaning. And for the past week or so my right nipple has been hurting. I looked at the area that was hurting and noticed teeth marks from my son's bottom 2 teeth. The pain is excruciating when he nurses! I don't really know what to do. I could really use some help and encouragement because I am more ready to wean now than ever before. -Lita
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Lita, you may need to adjust the latch again. It's also OK to use a shield to protect the wounded area till it heals, or only to use the unhurt side.

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Do make sure baby's mouth is wide open, tongue is down, and a deep enough latch is taken. Lansinoh before feeds, expressed milk and air drying after. Ibuprofen for pain, if needed. Don't worry, this is fixable! 

Mia~ breastfeeding, babywearing, sleepsharing, nonspanking, clothdiapering,
   homeschooling, pro-life, modest, happily married wife and stay at home mom!

new_mom808
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I would check the latch. DS's tongue is always over his bottom teeth.

JenniJune
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM
I have the same thing, except from the top teeth. I did with my first baby, too, and have basically permanant teeth shaped scarring.

But if it's the bottom teeth doing it, it seems like a fixable latch problem, so I agree... Maybe try to get a deeper latch so his tongue is over those teeth. Good luck! I know how tempting weaning can be in times like that! ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilroysmom2
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I'm wondering if he is just playing around, using it for comfort , enjoyment? only because at this age he would of mastered the latch and i mean when kids start getting teeth it requires a little getting used to but typically even when mine were getting teeth it wasnt very noticeble certainly not ecruciating. but of course i could be wrong just trying to give you a diffent perspective :) Have you weened before? it might break your heart i was so sad and even thought of giving in and going to pick them back up and let them nurse jsut because i missed it.

ilovecameran
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 11:33 AM
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. I started making sure his tongue was over his teeth and that he takes in more than just the nipple. Its a lot more comfortable. The scar has pretty much healed and there isn't any more pain! I'm going to continue let him self wean. He's cutting back gradually. I definitely don't wanna force him to wean when he's not yet ready. This is the longest I've ever breastfed. I weaned my oldest too soon and vowed never to do that again. I wanna thank yall again! I really appreciate the positive and very helpful advice.
-Lita
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)