Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleeping through the night

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello ladies

My son is 12 weeks and EBF.  At night he still wakes up to feed at around 4 am to feed.  EVERYONE keeps telling me to give him cereal at night.  What are your thoughts?  Does anyone else have aby suggestions?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
trish2tew
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I wouldn't give him cereal unless your ped recommends it. My almost 6 month old didn't start STTN until about 2 weeks ago. We were feeding on demand, so she was eating every 2 hours during the day, and 2-3 hours at night. We started cereal 2 days before her 4 month appointment, because she was ready and we started veggies about a month ago. I think she started STTN, because we moved her to her crib and she was more comfortable sleeping there. That's also when she started having longer times between feedings. She's eating about every 3 hours during the day, and going to sleep sometime between 9pm and 11:30pm and waking up sometime between 6:30 and 8am.

It's not abnormal that he is still getting up 1x a night to eat. I have several friends that LOs didn't start STTN until they were close to 1 year old.    

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Do not give him cereal. He's only 3 months old!!!!!! His little tummy is not ready for that. He's waking up because he NEEDS to nurse, not to make your life miserable. My baby is 6 months old, is ebf, and has never had any food what so ever. She still wakes up a few times a night to nurse, and that's just what she needs. Just nurse nurse nurse!!

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM

A three month old is probably not going to sleep through the night.  Contrary to popular belief, you can't MAKE a baby sleep through the night.  It is not something that is learned, it is a developmental milestone.  And it happens at different times for different kids.  There are some babies that are sleeping through the night by 8 weeks and there are babies who don't sleep through the night until after their first birthday.  I don't agree with him always, but here is something from Dr. Sears. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp

My son nursed at night at least once and usually twice until he was about 10 or 11 months old.  PLEASE DO NOT GIVE HIM CEREAL.  An infant is not equipt to handle solid foods until approximately 6 months of age, although there are people whose doctors say 4 months, but that is old information.  You'd get more problems out of starting solids than you would get benefits.  Here is an article from kellymom that explains solids. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html 

new_mom808
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Nope, wouldnt do it.
first of all it's no more likely to make  him sleep through the night. Hell do it when he's ready and not a day earlier. Second of all he's MUCH too young to have any form of "solids"
for a variety of reasons. like these: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
Third of all cereal is crap. It has no nutrutional value and can / usually will cause constipation. Constipation BTW will hinder sleep habits.

abelsmama07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

he wakes up just at 4am?  what time does he go to bed?  i'm pretty sure that STTN is considered 5 hours.  so, "technically" your little one does STTN.  i know, i know, i don't consider them STTN till they are sleeping 8-7am, but really, one waking at 4am is REALLY LUCKY.  you could have a babe that is waking every 2hours all night long. THAT would suck.

i've never really understood the cereal at night thing.  maybe i just have a really finicky eater... but if i gave her cereal before bed, there is no way she would nurse before sleeping, therefore, not being any fuller than she would have been originally.  oh, and my 6month old still wakes once a night to eat.  usually between 4 & 5am.

SoniaL
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Yep! I have a 13 month old who still wakes every 2-3 hours to nurse! It does suck. If you are getting up once with a 3 month old just enjoy it. And skip the cereal.

Quoting abelsmama07:

he wakes up just at 4am?  what time does he go to bed?  i'm pretty sure that STTN is considered 5 hours.  so, "technically" your little one does STTN.  i know, i know, i don't consider them STTN till they are sleeping 8-7am, but really, one waking at 4am is REALLY LUCKY.  you could have a babe that is waking every 2hours all night long. THAT would suck.

i've never really understood the cereal at night thing.  maybe i just have a really finicky eater... but if i gave her cereal before bed, there is no way she would nurse before sleeping, therefore, not being any fuller than she would have been originally.  oh, and my 6month old still wakes once a night to eat.  usually between 4 & 5am.

midnitemama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Hi mama. I nursed my lil ones a full year. I worked too so sleep was precious to of. My babies had to co sleep that was all i did was roll over and nursed til we both went to sleep§your lil one is still new so keep nursin and he will start sleep more as he grows hang in there and keep nursing and no cereal yet. He needs your milk more than cereal now. Nothing like mothers milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM

If he's only waking at four AM and sleeping five hours ina  row or more, he IS sleeping through the night. DO NOTHING. Cereal will make him wake MORE.

Serious advice? Unless someone is sleeping WITH the baby, they do not need to know how he sleeps. You only have to say, "Horizontally." That cirrcumvents the Curse, which descends whenever someone shares the sleep pattern..it CHANGES!

MumsTheWord571
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM

He's too young for cereal. Babies digest breastmilk really fast so he will keep waking up for a while. My DS started sleeping through the night at 6 1/2 monts but I understand that he is the exception to the rule. If you thinks she is not actually nursing for food but more for comfort you can as DH to take one of the feedings, but beware that you are probably about to go through the 3rd month growth spurt so she will need to nurse more often to up your supply. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)