Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The breaking of comfort nursing

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

How did all you moms break your babies of comfort nursing?  Mine use to put herself to sleep pretty easily, but now she wakes up again sometimes and wants to nurse.   I don't think she's particularly hungrey because she barely nurses before she stops or usually just falls back to sleep.  Rocking her does nothing.  Same thing with putting her down at night.  Now it's like the only way she goes to sleep is if I nurse her to sleep whereas before I could lay her down still awake and she'd be asleep in a few minutes. 

She is almost ten months old, and this has been going on for about a month now.  She hasn't been like this since she was about three months old and before she discovered how to suck her thumb!  I'm going out of town for a few nights pretty soon and I feel bad to have DH and my MIL having to calm her down and put her to sleep without the proper equipment!  I also don't want her to become dependent on my boobs again to calm her down because I don't want it to be a huge problem when I wean her.   Any advice?  Please?? 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM

She may be going through a growth spurt or teething or upset because of some change in her schedule. You may never know.  I don't know how to break her of it because I never did with my kids. If they woke up and wanted to nurse I would nurse them.  I nursed past 1 year and as they got older and wanted to nurse to sleep, I would just shorten nursing times durring that time until they were content with nursing only for 5 minutes or less before going to sleep. 

jendawn1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM

sorry don't know ... going through somewhat the same right now.. would like to know  too... so BUMP for you good luck

tdoubleday04
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM
I'll bump for u cause I have no clue!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolasaya
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM
I'm not help either my son is 21 months old and he nurses to sleep all the time.
Good luck on that!
axidnurse
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I would love this information too!!  My DD is almost 9 months and does the same thing for me!  BUMP!

jendawn1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM

bump once more .. someone has to know

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:12 AM

You haven't gotten an answer...because there isn't one. You cannot break an infant of comfort nursing. They must outgrow it. There is NO cure for it but time. None.

HOWEVER. When mom is absent, it's as if she doesn't exist. Children ALWAYS do things for others that they will NEVER do for their own mom. Dad and grandma will do fine. So don't even worry about this.

MumsTheWord571
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:14 AM

My DH puts DS to bed everynight. Then he doesn't have the breasts to comfort him. He has Daddy and his voice. It seems to work.

Nicciisaloser
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Well I it looks like I just have to roll with the wind on this one.  Thanks ladies and at least I know I'm not the only one!

BabyLove418
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Unfortunately I have no advise...my little man has always been like this!  Goes to sleep for naps and at night on the boob, and nurses all night, on and off.  He is a year old, and has always done this. 

Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)