Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use frozen milk from one baby for the next baby?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, so I now have a deep freezer and my LO is now 8 months old.  I plan to continue pumping for many more months to come.  I was thinking about how nice it would be if we were to have a 2nd child to already have a freezer stash at the time the baby was born.  I know that milk is good for up to 1 year in a deep freezer.

Just wondering if anyone has done this...have you given birth to a new baby with an existing freezer stash in place??

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kemmerer411
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM
I only have one baby but I agree that would be awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
l_to_the_e
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM

my babies aren't close enough together for that... and i still would be suspicious of it, because i've seen milk go bad (albeit very slowly) while in the deep freeze.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:21 AM

I haven't seen that ever. Because for most women the stash is gone by the time the next baby arrives.

Heck. 72 hourd was the longest I ever kept pumped milk anyway.

earthmama727
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I dunno... I stock piled a bit when DD was first born, but even in the deep freeze, it seemed to go bad before the 6 months it was supposedly good for... Started getting a weird taste and she wouldn't drink it...

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM
My only thought is that it negates the benefit that your body makes different milk for the different stages of the baby. I suppose if you're still breastfeeding the new baby, a bottle here and there of the older baby milk would probably make no difference. I cant imagine pumping while pregnant. And that would be a huge caloric deficit for the pregnant mother, assuming she's nursing an older baby, too. You could theoretically have the milk pumped during the pregnancy plus the prior three months, assuming it really lasts fresh for a year. I'm still stuck on the thought of Pumping during pregnancy. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I guess you COULD but a newborn would not thrive solely on milk mom pumped for an older child.  I mean if baby was in the NICU and mom couldn't pump enough for the first few days a few ounces a day would be ok but really any other time it wouldn't be a good idea.  PLUS mom needs to nurse not use bottles with the new baby for a while.

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I wanted to do this. I had been planning on pumping and freezing milk at the beginning of this pregnancy since my son was still nursing. But my ex husband claimed that my breastmilk freezer was his property and refused to return it. Now it doesn't matter because my older child weaned himself. 

Funny how a breastmilk/medical freezer is considered "marital property", eh? He's probably using it to store extra ice cream or something. heh. 

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I guess you COULD but a newborn would not thrive solely on milk mom pumped for an older child.  I mean if baby was in the NICU and mom couldn't pump enough for the first few days a few ounces a day would be ok but really any other time it wouldn't be a good idea.  PLUS mom needs to nurse not use bottles with the new baby for a while.

Really? Why not? As your child weans your milk becomes more concentrated with antibodies, fats, and vitamins. It's still more appropriate nutrition for an infant of any age than infant formula, I would think? 

Yeah, I wouldn't use it in the early days as a "feeding method" (mainly because it would mess with supply). But as an alternative to formula feeds if baby has "low blood sugar" or whatnot, or if they insist on them for jaundice... Sure! 

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Quoting earthmama727:

I dunno... I stock piled a bit when DD was first born, but even in the deep freeze, it seemed to go bad before the 6 months it was supposedly good for... Started getting a weird taste and she wouldn't drink it...

Did your freezer have a defrost cycle? Was there anything in it other than the breastmilk? 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM

This is what my LC said, she said the composition of BM changes and you are right it becomes more concentrated, but there are some nutrients that aren't needed as high or not at all for older babies and toddlers so they are kinda dropped from the BM.  She said if a baby was born early enough to not be able to be nursed and NEEDED to have pumped milk it would be best to have as close to newborn as possible milk..though any milk would do in a pinch.

Quoting Gruntlings:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Really? Why not? As your child weans your milk becomes more concentrated with antibodies, fats, and vitamins. It's still more appropriate nutrition for an infant of any age than infant formula, I would think? 

Yeah, I wouldn't use it in the early days as a "feeding method" (mainly because it would mess with supply). But as an alternative to formula feeds if baby has "low blood sugar" or whatnot, or if they insist on them for jaundice... Sure! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)