Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to group!

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: How many breastfeeding moms work over 40 hours per week?

Options:

I work OVER 40 hours per week..

I work 40 hours per week..

I work part time..

I am a stay at home mom..

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

Hello ladies!  My name is Sheri and I am pregnant and due with baby #3 in September.  I was not able to breastfeed my first son do to a traumatic birth for both of us.  I was determined to at least try with my second son and was succesfull up until the point that I returned to work.  My job did not allow the time or facilities for me to be able to pump.  After my son got used to the bottle, he no longer was interested in breast feeding.  I am now pregnant with my 3rd and final child.  We are having a girl!  I am bound and determined to do whatever it takes to succesfully breastfee for AT THE LEAST one year.  I am a little more optamistic this time because I am the boss at my current job.  The only thing that I am worried about is that I work 80 hours per week and am afraid to have my daughter on a bottle for 10-13 hours per day.  My next concern is pumping.  I did not have much success with any electric pumps while breast feeding my last child.  However, I LOVED my manual pump.  It seemed to work so much better.  Is it ok to use only a manual?  Sorry about all the questions but I want to do it right this time around.  Any other breastfeeding mommies out there that work ALL the time?  If so, how do you do it?  Also, what pumps do most peaople recommend?  I feel like I am starting from scratch this time!

~Sheri

by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MissiHampt
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I only work very very part time....1-2 days a week, tops.  I find that if I pump every 2-3 hours, everything is just fine.  I recently rented a hospital grade pump, and that makes things SO much faster.  But if the manual works better for you, then do what works.  As long as you are able to do a "good job" with it.

Nighttiger
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I'm gone 50-55 hours a week for work so my DS is bottle fed for 10-12 hour days. I went back to work at 6 weeks. I use the Medela PIS. When I started back to work, I was only pumping 3 times a day for ~2 ozs. I had to pump twice during the night to keep up. I moved it up to 4 times for ~10 minutes each time. After ~1 month I staarted pumping 2-3 ozs and am now solidly 3-4 ozs each session which is easily meeting my LOs needs. He is ebf and 1 week shy of 6 months. Key is the  1-1.25oz/hr rule of seperation so you can keep up. And add pumpings at night if you have to.

MommySteph06
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I don't work, but I go to school for 15 hours or so a week. I use a double electric pump (Medela Pump in Style). If you're working 80 hours a week (what do you do to work so much???), I would DEFINITELY invest in a good double electric pump. I couldn't imagine using only a manual to pump that much...my hand would fall off. lol. But if you can only get milk with a manual, well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

in love   toddler girl  toddler boy   breastfeeding

Steve & Steph         Kayla Rose         Brennan Gerard      Evan James

11/2004               10/28/06              3/16/08              10/28/09

maxswolfsuit
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I work over 40 hours and managed to avoid formula until 8-9 months. And then he only go one formula bottle a day. It's really difficult pumping enough to keep up. The thing that helped me was pumping in the morning first thing. I would pump, then get dressed and get him up and nurse after. I'd also pump at night after he nursed. That way I was pumping 2 bottle's worth at home. It really helped me keep up with him.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I was on 60 hours a week AND traveled for business for ten days at a time; nursed to 26 months. Totally doable.

Remember that baby needs 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. For your 13 hour day, that's a maximum of 16.25 ounces. But I'd go the low end of 13 ounces...the idea being that he IS hungry when you get home and then nurses well.

MotherofIreland
by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I'm now a SAHM after having my son, he's 3 months. 

I had a very hard time pumping when I went back to work after I had my daughter.  I wish you the best of luck and I know that all the ladies here are WONDERFUL!!  I'm sure you'll do great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)