Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick baby, possibly dehydrated

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

Ben has a cold and a double ear infection.  Last night I took him to the ER because he was wheezing and doing this coughing thing that sounded like he was gasping for air.  They sent him home with an inhaler and a spacer.  They switched his antibiotic from zithromax to augmentin in case of the very small chance he might have pneumonia. 

Today I changed his wet diaper when he woke up this morning.  Then I went to change him and he was dry.  He did not have a wet diaper until 7pm.  He does not look dehydrated yet and is not lethargic. 

How many wet diapers is he supposed to have in 24 hours?  After thinking about it he only had one or two all day yesterday.  He is exclusively breastfed and is six months old and weighs 21 pounds.  This is his fourth ear infection, he gets one every time he gets a runny nose.  I don't normally count his diaper, but he has thrown up after every feed since last night.  At what point do I worry, and when do I take him back to the ER?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
steph2884
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:05 AM

If your baby has had only one or two wet diapers in 24 hours, he is most likely dehydrated. My son has been dehydrated twice from being sick. I know it's hard to think about your baby getting an iv, but dehydration in a baby is dangerous, and they become dehydrated faster than adults. You should really take your baby to the er. My son didn't look dehydrated either time, but the doctors took one look at him and knew he needed an iv.

http://lifewithadrian.blogspot.com/

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
nessy1980
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I would take your baby to the ER for a IV I hate to say and yes Ive been in your shoes kinda. My oldest had the Rota virus and was dehydrated and it almost killed him. What you can also do too is give your baby gatorade in the meantime, I gave Julien at 4 months gatorade and nothing bad happened to him.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Push small nursing son him...not huge ones..offer more often than normal and limit his time at the breast because of the vomitting..thats why you offer more often..instead of every 2-3 hours offer every hour but limit to one side if he normally does 2 or only allo 10 min if he normally nurses 15 min.

h4 needs 6 total wet or mesy diapers, but when sick I always saw a drop too.  Use BM drops in his ears too, they work better than meds.  3 drops 3 times day.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Quoting nessy1980:

I would take your baby to the ER for a IV I hate to say and yes Ive been in your shoes kinda. My oldest had the Rota virus and was dehydrated and it almost killed him. What you can also do too is give your baby gatorade in the meantime, I gave Julien at 4 months gatorade and nothing bad happened to him.

NO GATORADE NO NO NO

It is full of sugars and sodium and can make vomitting worse.  BM is even better than pedialyte and THAT is the safe thing to give kids over gatorade.

from kellymom

Breastmilk vs. Pedialyte

When baby is sick, moms are sometimes told to discontinue or restrict breastfeeding and substitute an oral rehydration therapy such as Pedialyte. This outdated practice has been shown to offer no benefits to the breastfed baby, and can even delay healing.

Your milk has four things that your baby needs even more than usual when he's sick:

1. Antibodies to fight this illness - you want baby to get as much of these as possible. Encourage *more* nursing rather than less. Pedialyte has no antibodies.
  2. Liquids to keep baby hydrated. Your baby may not be eating as much because he doesn't feel well. Sick babies are more likely to nurse than to take anything else by mouth, so nursing is important to keep baby hydrated. Keeping baby well hydrated also helps keep the mucus secretions thinned out if baby has a cold or other congestion. So again, you want to nurse *more*. Pedialyte will keep baby hydrated, but so will breastmilk.
  3. Concentrated nutrients. Breastmilk is easily and quickly digested, so baby gets more nutrients and absorbs them faster. Pedialyte will keep baby hydrated but has little nutritional value. Again, it's best to nurse *more* since baby may not be eating as much if he feels bad.
  4. Comfort. Sick babies need more comforting - what better way to do this than at the breast?

teachermama81
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

i agree with this.  when my dd was sick this last time she had a super stuffy nose, and we had a day with only 3 wets.  the next day i offered about once an hour, and so she ate less but more frequently.  it stayed down better and her wets were up to five that day and six the next.  i would also do bm in the ear like tabit said. 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Push small nursing son him...not huge ones..offer more often than normal and limit his time at the breast because of the vomitting..thats why you offer more often..instead of every 2-3 hours offer every hour but limit to one side if he normally does 2 or only allo 10 min if he normally nurses 15 min.

h4 needs 6 total wet or mesy diapers, but when sick I always saw a drop too.  Use BM drops in his ears too, they work better than meds.  3 drops 3 times day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)