Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tummy sleeping OT

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM
  • 23 Replies
Do you let your baby tummy sleep?? Since how old and are there any precautions you take??? I just put DS(8wks) on tummy time and he fell asleep lol!! I havnt moved him, he looks so peaceful, anyway this is why I want to know about yalls experiences with tummy sleeping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IMAMOMx4
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:59 AM

We do tummy sleep during the day so I can keep an eye on her(dd is 5wks).

C-K-Csmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I would allow my girls to nap right next to me on the couch on their tummies. I am a SIDS mommy, even though my son wasn't the typical SIDS case of dying in his sleep I am still against tummy sleeping(my SIDS baby never even slept on his tummy until he could roll over on his own). This simple risk that is so avoidable isn't chance I am willing to take with my kids lives. Many believe that them sleeping better on their tummies is what kills them, I would rather not sleep.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM

LOL, DS never fell asleep during tummy time. That's cute. I dont think he slept on his tummy until he could roll over himself. In your situation I would probably leave him as long as you can watch him.

teachermama81
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM

My son tummy slept from about 8 weeks on.  He started rolling at 7 weeks and loved being on his tummy.  We'd put him on his side or back, and he flipped to his tummy.  I figured since he could roll back and forth he was fine.

Arisce
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Emi slept on her tummy from birth on. The first 9 weeks she slept on her tummy on my chest at night. During the day I was holding her, or she was literally right next to me in a basket and I checked on her often. After 9 weeks she started sleeping next to me part of the night on her side, nursing. She would end up on her tummy a lot, but I was always very aware of where she was. I think I finally relaxed a bit once she hit 6 months. She's 20 months now and I STILL wake up and check her breathing during the night. She also still sleeps in my bed, or in her crib that's sidecarred next to my bed. 

If I had her sleep in her own room as a baby, she would have been on her back to sleep. If I had even had her sleep in her own bed in MY room I would have had her on her back to sleep. But I felt comfortable with our set up.

MamaKalila
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Mine does. I'm not happy/comfortable with it since he just started rolling and isn't consistant with it yet. He does have great head control though and moves it quite a bit to adjust when he's asleep though. But yeah.. I cant get him to sleep on his back for anything... and while yes if that just meant me not sleeping that would be one thing (would stink, but still), but it doesn't. It also means him not sleeping which he needs to do to be healthy. When I was fighting it more (still do a bit) he was getting so little sleep that he felt awful and you could tell. Even strangers commented on it.

MamaKalila
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM

eta - I do co-sleep though so I'm constantly checking on him at night as is..

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

My oldest I was adament no tummy sleeping even if I watched him, my 2nd loved his side still does, my 3rd would force himself to his tummy from his side at a few weeks old...I woke up to find him in the positioner on his tummy..he had slept 8 hours straight.  Scared the crap out of me ut he refused to sleep any other way..at 3 he still is a tummy sleeoer.  My 4th sleeps on his tummy in his bassinet, but on his side curled up to me at night.

They are finding that with firm mattresses with tight sheets, no waterproof pad and organic mattresses(as in no chemical kind) tummy sleeping can be safe.  NOT telling anyone to do it, all parental choice, but I feel safe with my son tummy sleeping in those conditions.

kwaverysmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM

My now 7 month old has slept on his belly since about 3 weeks. Right after he was born, we would put him down to sleep and he would instantly roll onto his side. at around 3 weeks he started rolling to his belly and would scream if we rolled him back over. 

Mama_Straw
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Nicholas has been sleeping on his tummy since he started rolling over onto it in his sleep. I'm thinking maybe around 4 or 5 months old this started happening? I couldn't keep him on his back so that was when he started! :) I kept him on his back until he could get there on his own and he's been fine.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)