Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 questions!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

hi :)

im a first time breast feeder. cant get the baby to latch so i pump.

one breast produces like 3 oz more than the other. is that normal?

also... my daughter is 9 days old. How much and how often should she be eating? seems like she wants to eat ever hour! is it ok to let her eat that much!?

thanks!!!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Quoting jules_42588:

keep trying. she's still very young and it takes time for both of you to learn and get breastfeeding down. Visiting a LC or even a LLL leader who can help you with latching. There are many tricks up their sleeves to get a proper latch.

yes, for many moms they produce more on one side than the other.

also... my daughter is 9 days old. How much and how often should she be eating? seems like she wants to eat ever hour! is it ok to let her eat that much!?

give her breastmilk on demand, but a min of every 2 hours (from start of one feeding to the start of another feeding). Its ok for her to want to eat every hour or even sooner if she wants. Unlike formula, you cannot overfeed with breastmilk.

thanks!!!

Julia: wife of Drew, christian, pro-life, homebirthing, AP mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, new baby boy due 9-11-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

Mom71307
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Try a nipple sheild for the latch to get her on there! 

Yes, your pump output is normal... I do the same... one side responds better than the other.  Feed on demand but she should need 1-1.25 ounces per hour.  Keep feedings small.  You CAN overfeed a bottle fed baby  whether it is breastmilk or formula... it is the bottle that makes the difference.  You cannot overfeed a nursed baby though!

new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Higher production on one side is pretty common. :)
She really cant handle more than about 2oz at a time right now. That should hold her for about 2 hours. SO about an oz per hour. Keep working at the latch. :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Quoting jules_42588:

im a first time breast feeder. cant get the baby to latch so i pump.see an IBCLC ASA and see why she will not latch, it could be something as simple as a tongue tie that is easily fixed.  its very hard to maintain ONLY pumping so try try try to get baby to the breast it is never too late

one breast produces like 3 oz more than the other. is that normal?yep normal

Make sure you pump every 2-3 horus round the clock no matter how much you are gettin that WILL go down and you need to maintain supply

also... my daughter is 9 days old. How much and how often should she be eating? 1-1.25 oz an hour or 24-30 oz a day totalseems like she wants to eat ever hour!its the need to suck and the body trying to gether to increase yor supply..all that sucking would increase your supply TONS is it ok to let her eat that much!?not from a bottle, she can overfeed from a bottle.  Either get her to the breast or give her a bottle with correct amounts and a paci afterwards.

thanks!!!

Tabitha-Moderator of Breastfeeding moms, feel free to PM me
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting jules_42588:

keep trying. she's still very young and it takes time for both of you to learn and get breastfeeding down. Visiting a LC or even a LLL leader who can help you with latching. There are many tricks up their sleeves to get a proper latch.

give her breastmilk on demand, but a min of every 2 hours (from start of one feeding to the start of another feeding). Its ok for her to want to eat every hour or even sooner if she wants. Unlike formula, you cannot overfeed with breastmilk.

thanks!!!

I HAVE to disagree, babies WILL overeat BM, it is very very possible.  BM is thinner and comes out faster than formula AND with foremilk and hindmilk mixed in a bottle the signals it send to the baby's belly is wierd and they will overeat for that reason too.  ALSO the drastic need to suc for comfort leads to overfeeding in newborns...BM or not.

Babies can not overeat at the breast..they regulae the flow and can do non nutritive sucking, neither is possible with a bottle.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting jules_42588:

thanks!!!

I HAVE to disagree, babies WILL overeat BM, it is very very possible.  BM is thinner and comes out faster than formula AND with foremilk and hindmilk mixed in a bottle the signals it send to the baby's belly is wierd and they will overeat for that reason too.  ALSO the drastic need to suc for comfort leads to overfeeding in newborns...BM or not.

Babies can not overeat at the breast..they regulae the flow and can do non nutritive sucking, neither is possible with a bottle.

good to know, thanks :)

Julia: wife of Drew, christian, pro-life, homebirthing, AP mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, new baby boy due 9-11-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting jules_42588:

thanks!!!

good to know, thanks :)

I'm so glad you didn't think I was attacking you.  I have just seen babies be overfed..like 40-50 oz a day because mom thinks she can't overfeed BM.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)