Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick eater?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi ladies,

I am 4 days post birth (c-section). My milk came in  yesterday. But I do have a question, my daughter is great a latching on and such, but really she will only eat for about 10-15 min at a time and I kind of have to poke her to keep her going. Anyone else having this situation? I am just afraid she is not getting enough and would love tips on getting her to keep eating for longer?

Also I must say breast feeeding is like my new most favorit thing!! OMG, its just so great!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom71307
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM

That is fine!  My son was like that too but my daughter took FOREVER!  Both were super healthy (are)! Every baby is different.  Watch diapers... by this age, she should have 4 wet or dirty per day by 1 week, you should expect 6-8 per day.  Some babies are efficient and quick!

mariposahermosa
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Dont worry about how long she eats just make sure she is having  enough wet /dirty diapers:)  My son was the same way he always ate very fast.  He still does and he will be 6 Mon tomorrow.  He has never nursed more than 10min at a time and he is happy and healthy.  Good luck:)

happymum2010
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM

my dd was like that. if u think she is not getting hind milk try to block feed her.. that 2 times on same side then switch to other for the next two times.

Sebastian
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM

All three of my kids only nurse(d) for 10-15 minutes on one side.  You tell most people that and they look scared that you are starving your child.. but some people just have more supply and efficient nursers.  My currently little nursling has gained 4-5 lbs in his first 6 weeks... he's certainly not starving, and he's never nursed longer then 15 minutes ever. 

I find we are fortunate... I feel bad for my friends who have to switch sides, and nurse 30-45 minutes.  Think of how much time we have back in our days!! 

VBAC group: www.cafemom.com/group/vbac

Sebastian

MDT09
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Consider yourself lucky!  (i'm not an LC) but, I think they get most of the milk in the first 10 mins,,, the rest of the time is just comfort.

mariposahermosa
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Quoting MDT09:

Consider yourself lucky!  (i'm not an LC) but, I think they get most of the milk in the first 10 mins,,, the rest of the time is just comfort.

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!  Alot of people told me in the beginning that my LO was not getting enough b/c he wasn't nursing 45mins. ...LOL

new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Dont worry about the time. Really. Let her nurse until she stops, offer the other side. If she takes it great, if not, great. It realllysounds fine to me :)

nicole4ray
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

My babies were both like this. My current nursing dd is 10 months and still only nurses for about 10 minutes. Actually she used to only nurse for about 5 minutes at a time, and she's my big baby! My sisters baby takes about 30 minutes per side, and he eats both sides at every feeding. It takes forever to feed him, I'm always done way before her when we feed our babies at the same tim!

lfrrll5
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM

thats all my son eats and he gets plenty/ Just keep an eye on his diapers to make sure he is wetting/dirtying enough

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)