Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and have a question!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey all! I am due in about 2 weeks and am planning on breastfeeding my little girl. I tried with my son but after 2 months of trying I stopped. Is there anything I should know right now to help get a great start to breastfeeding??? I was going to go to a breastfeeding class but I missed it :( I am feeling pretty clueless about the whole thing.. I have read a couple books but I still don't feel fully prepared.

*Lizz*
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

1 SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT

2. LA LECHE LEAGUE

3. FEED AS SOON AS BABY IS BORN

4. NO BOTTLES OR BINKIES FOR THE FIRST 6 WKS

5. STAY HYDRATED!! LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER

6 NURSE ON DEMAND.

7. READ THIS BOOKS. WOMANLY ART TO BREASTFEEDING AND I THINK THE OTHER ONE I CALLED SO THATS WHAT THEY ARE FOR

8. DONT GIVE UP

new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM

pp summed it up nicely. What kind of issues did u face w/ your 1st that made u give up?

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM

i was like you. i had every intention of BF my first, a girl for the whole first year. we lasted 2 months! both of us were frustrated, and even though i took the classes, i did not know then what i know now!!

now i have a 4 month old ds. from the very first feeding, in the hospital, he has doen PERFECT! totally night and day from dd. so my advice is, prepare as best you can, but im telling you, its different with the 2nd. i dont know if im just more relaxed, but u may be surprised how well you do!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Read kellymom.com and SO thats what they're for by Jnet Tamaro..only 2 things you NEED to read the rest of them ignore mostly.

Stay here and ask every question possible. AND before anything but BM from your breast is given get an opinion of an IBCLC and the ladies here for sure.  SO if they say suppliment..say no I need another opinion and get it..it will not be that life threatening that you can't wait 30min to get another opinion.

lfrrll5
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM

First don't give up. Make sure to get help to make sure your LO is latching properly. Nursing often is normal. Most breastfed babies gain weight slower than formula fed babies. Don't give your LO pacifiers or bottles for 6-8 weeks after birth. For awhile it will seem like baby is always nursing and probably will nurse a lot at first, this is normal and great for supply. Nurse as often as possible at first to ensure a good supply. AND FOR ANY HELP YOU NEED COME HERE TO THIS GROUP OR GO TO  KELLYMOM.COM FOR ANSWERS. ALSO REMEMBER MOST PEDIATRICIANS DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT NURSING SO DON'T RELY ON THEM. 

Andrewsmommy12
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Thanks ladies, With my first he wasn't gaining any weight so I switched. He obviously wasn't getting enough and I didn't have any people to help me figure out how to fix the problem. Also I didn't know as much as I know now, I didn't learn anything about breastfeeding before I had him.

stella0310
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Also dont be afraid to ask your nurses for help or anyone for that matter but especially the nurses in the hospital.  I know my hospital had a lactation consultant 24hrs a day that helped me alot. I went in completly clueless on what to do and came out feeling like a pro. Good Luck =)

LKRA
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:13 AM

1. Read this information:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/661307/BreastFeeding_101

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/8213754/SIGNS_OF_A_LOW_MILK_SUPPLY

http://www.promom.org/101/

2. Have contact information on hand for your local La Leche League. Call a LLL leader anytime you have a question, or are feeling overwhelmed and need someone to talk you down from your ledge. lol

http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

3. Grab a copy of "So That's What They're For!" by Janet Tamaro. Hilarious book chock full of uber useful info. I love this book and wish I had it before my daughter was born.

4. Bookmark kellymom.com. Great site loaded with good info.

5. Stay here in this group and use the search functionality

<-------------- over there on the left side of the screen

to look for common questions and concerns. Chances are VERY VERY good that any question you have has been answered 1,308 times before. :) You're not alone. Not here.

6. Don't EVER feel like there is such a thing as a stupid question. The more you know, the better off you'll be. There are so many women in this group that are knowledgeable and friendly and kind.

7. Do everything Gdiamante tell you to do. :)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/8882196/gdiamante

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/7103303/Gdiamante

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/2856132/For_gdiamante

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/399594/Can_I_just_say_I_love_gdiamante

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/9364587/I_heart_Gdiamante_because

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/6399438/Gdiamante

The ONLY indication that you are not producing enough milk for your baby is a decrease in dirty diapers. What goes in must come out. Period. End of story.

LKRA
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Also, I like to send this out to all my friends that are expecting:

•·         Always feed your baby at the first sign of hunger and not by the clock or a schedule.

•·         Don't be thrown by growth spurts. They are normal and short lived. The only accurate way to gauge how much the baby is taking in is by counting wet and dirty diapers.

•·         Remember that your breasts are never truly empty of milk. You make milk as your baby nurses.

•·         Feed baby on one breast till she's satisfied before offering the other, which she may or may not take at the same feeding.

•·         A newborn who is pulling back and crying at the breast is not rejecting you. It could be a growth spurt.

•·         A baby, especially newborn, is SUPPOSED to nurse all the time (even every hour or two). That  is normal and does not mean that your milk supply is low.

•·         Nursing a newborn at least 10 to 12 times a day is a good rule of thumb, and that doesn't mean the feedings will all be evenly spaced. The number of feedings will decrease as baby gets older. Also look for 6 to 8 wet diapers to ensure baby is getting enough to eat. Some babies have bowel movements more often than others. When they do occur, they should be mustard yellow and a bit seedy and loose.

•·         Putting a baby, especially newborn, on a schedule may decrease your milk supply, ending breastfeeding altogether. Feed on baby's cues (sucking hand, quietly fussing, etc.), even if you think she just ate and can't be hungry. She is growing, needs the comfort and nutrition, and you need the milk stimulation in the early weeks.

•·         Some newborns will cluster nurse (feeding often for a few hours then resting for several more). This is normal.

•·         There are things you can do to increase your supply if need be

•·         Fenugreek Pills

•·         Mother's Milk Tea

•·         LOTS of water. LOTS.

•·         Oatmeal

•·         Know when and what to expect during a growth spurt. (10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, etc.) Baby may pull off breast, be a little fussier, and/or nurse more often, building up your milk supply. Nursing more often does not mean you aren't making enough milk and baby needs formula; just the opposite -- baby is increasing your milk supply for you by nursing more often.

•·         After 6 weeks, baby may nurse more because of a growth spurt. Don't let the feel of your breasts and the increase in nursing make you worry.

•·         Pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you normally make. Baby sucks more efficiently and differently than a pump. Also, all pumps are NOT created equal.

•·         Using a pacifier instead of nursing a baby may hinder your milk supply.

•·         Nurse lying down whenever possible, even if you don't want to co-sleep. Baby gets fed, you get rest.

•·         Eating dairy might cause a baby discomfort in the early weeks and months.

•·         If you sleep with your baby you can nurse and sleep at the same time if you do it lying on your side. You may not want to do this in the beginning just to make sure you are awake enough to see that he is eating enough. After 6 or 8 weeks you should have a good breastfeeding relationship and can feed while sleeping.

•·         Never hesitate to get help.

•·         Feeding on demand is the best way to relieve or avoid engorgement. It "teaches" your body to make the right amount for your baby.

•·         Remember that evening time is when you have the least amount of milk. This doesn't mean that you are losing your supply.

•·         Before a growth spurt your baby will want to nurse more often because he will be signaling your body to make more in order to accommodate his growth spurt. Feeding on demand is the only way to weather a growth spurt. This is the time when it is most important to not supplement because that will signal your body to make less.

•·         During growth spurts baby may sleep a lot, become fussy and pull away from the breast crying (especially in the evening). Don't be alarmed, this is normal. The best thing to do is provide a lot of skin-to-skin contact and nurse, nurse, nurse.

•·         Once you get past the first few months it will become second nature to you, and you will find that it is so easy to breastfeed. You never have to give feedings a thought because the food is always right there, ready when baby is.

The ONLY indication that you are not producing enough milk for your baby is a decrease in dirty diapers. What goes in must come out. Period. End of story.

MommySteph06
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:22 AM

It took me 3 kids to finally be successful. My baby has been BFing for over 7 months and we have no plans to stop anytime soon. And there was only one difference between now and when my other two were babies: support. I had none and now I get some (family doesn't support me, but others do). If I didn't have any support, I know I would have given up by now.

Be sure you have some sort of support circle, be it friends, family, or complete strangers in a BFing group (that's who I turned to). My BF group meets twice monthly and it really, really helps. It even gave me the confidence needed to nurse in public, which I think was my downfall in the past (feeling trapped at home because I couldn't nurse in public, therefore hating nursing).

in love   toddler girl  toddler boy   breastfeeding

Steve & Steph         Kayla Rose         Brennan Gerard      Evan James

11/2004               10/28/06              3/16/08              10/28/09

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)