Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I eat strawberries?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

My mom just told me I could not eat strawberries when breast feeding, is this true.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MelaneeO
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM

huh?  i think it's ok, i've been eating them and nothing adverse has happened

Arisce
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

You can eat them. If baby gets a rash, stop or back off. I ate a LOT of strawberries and Emi got a rash. But I think it was just because I ate too many. *blush*

Invader_Tama
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Heres something I found on http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002454.htm

Breastfeeding mothers can safely eat any foods they like. Some foods may flavor the breast milk, but babies rarely react to this. If your baby is fussy after you eat a certain food, try avoiding that food for a while, then try it again later to see if it is a problem.

Don't limit your diet excessively. Make sure you are getting enough nutrition for yourself and your baby. If you become overly concerned about foods or spices causing problems, try to remember that entire countries and cultures have diets that contain foods that are extremely spicy. In these cultures, the mothers nurse their infants without problems.

It is possible that some highly allergenic foods (strawberries, peanuts) may be passed into breast milk, increasing the risk of a later food allergy in the baby. If this is a concern, discuss food allergies with your pediatrician.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

YEah you can eat whatever you want generally.  Limit fish to 2-3 times a week, best to limit caffiene, best to limit fake sugars but none will hurt your child.  Strawberries are GREAT for you no limits on them

WilliamsMama08
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM

You can, but it may irritate baby.  I never had a problem eating them while nursing.

ready_for2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

no that is silly eat them!! they are so good! LOL

Kimmybeth
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I've eaten them with no problems.  Also I've put one just one time in a mesh feeder and Alexandra didn't have a problem with it.  She did taste it too long though because she wasn't thrilled with the tartness.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Is there a strawberry allergy in your family? (Usually presents as a rash) Then tread lightly, eat some and see what happens. But that can be said for anything. Anything you eat that seems to not agree w/ baby should be avoided for a couple of months and then slowly re-introduced. Other than that, you're golden. I see no reason to avoid them.

eema.gray
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM

General rule of thumb:  Pretty much everything that is a normal part of your diet is okay while nursing unless or until baby demonstrates a consistent reaction to something particularly.  Keep in mind that what you eat gets to your milk 4 to 6 hours after you eat it so the strawberries you ate 30 minutes ago are NOT what baby is reacting to (as an example).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)