Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

discouraged

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

My little guy is 11 days old and I don't feel like I'm producing enough for him. If I let him he'd nurse every 15 minutes. He's super cranky after he drains me dry so I will give him another 2 oz (formula) and he's happy as can be. I don't want to supplement but I don't see were I have another choice. I have tried pumping and only get 1.5 oz. out of both breasts. I had one day were I absolutely refused to give Gunnar a bottle at all and only made it to 4 pm when he (or I) couldn't get any milk out anymore. It was about 8 or 9 before he was able to get anything. Is there anything I can do at all? I'm so discouraged. I want him to get his belly full (obviously) but I don't feel like he can with just my breastmilk.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
teachermama81
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM

The only thing that you can look at to see if you are producing enough is by watching diapers.  He should have 6-8 dirty diapers a day, wet or soiled.  If he is getting plenty of wet/soiled diapers, he is FINE! 

He is doing exactly the right thing, nursing constantly!  His constant nursing tells your body to make more milk.   By supplementing, you are telling your body NOT to make milk at those times and so you WILL start to have supply issues.    YOu squeezing your breasts or pumping does NOT show how much milk you are making...because your breasts are ALWAYS making milk, and your baby is MUCH more efficient at getting that milk out than any pump or your hands.  YOu ALWAYS have milk for your little man. 

Bottom line, giving bottles is the WORST thing you can do right now!  You are doing so great!  Just watch diapers mama!

superexcitedmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM
I agree with the previous post!! you could try geting a sling or wrap to carry him in so he can nurse whenever he wants! thats the best thing for your supply... & to not to worry about your supply!! just count his diapers... 6-8 a day & youre good!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nessy1980
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Ok for the first 3 months of brest feeding its hell. I am not going to lie because you are going to feel like all you do is nurse. Supplimenting is not good at all because your body is like a computer. Baby nurses 20 times a day well the body says ok I need to make this amount and will. Mommas you have to trust your body. Never ever base what your supply on the pump, your baby can get way more milk than a pump can. Your baby could be hitting a growth spurt hence why he drinks every 15 minutes. I remember being dilusional for the first 3 months, I felt like a cow because all I did was nurse. But you know you have to want to breast feed and be determined. When Julien was 2 weeks old, he got thrush and had latching issues. I put him on the bottle and then one day I said I am going to breast feed damn it and nothing is going is going to stop me. Now 14 months later julien still breast feeds. You gotta relize breast milk is perfect for the baby, it goes through the baby faster but mother nature intended it to be very light for the baby. If you want more milk drink a lot of water, eat oatmeal like crazy. Drink a lot of Fenugreek tea. I would take a cup and put 3 tea bags in it and it helped trust me. You can do it and please for the love of God try not to give up. The formula companies and doctors want you to, why do you ask well formula is expensive and so are doctors visits. Breast milk is free, easy to make and will cause less doctors visits. If you have to contact a La Leche League person, La Leche helped me like your wouldnt believe and if it wasnt because of them I wouldnt be breast feeding as long as I have been. Breast feeding raises the IQ, fights off illness and reduces the chances of breast and Uterous cancer by 300%. So during cold season, you wont have to worry why because your baby will have a strong immune system. It was so wonderful this winter because my oldest is in school and brought back illness I never had to worry about Julien at all. Good luck and if you want to talk please dont hesitate and message me anytime. Here is my email Vanessa_trahan@yahoo.com. Message me and I will be there for you please again dont give up.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Nursing non-stop in the beginning is NORMAL. It does not mean you arent producing enough, it means you have a newborn. They nurse because they're hungry, they nurse because they want to suck, they nurse because it great for your supply. If you dont want to supplement then stop now. Count diapers. You need to see 6 wet and/or dirty diapers in a 24 hour period and you know you are doing great. Supplementing will only decrease your supply. Baby getting milk from another supplier will soon put YOU out of business. Babies are supposed to be fussy. It's what helps you increase supply.
Calming down after an EXTRA 2 oz of formula doesnt mean he's suddenly satisifed, it is usually what I like to call a "food coma". He's stuffed. His poor tummy can only handle about 2 oz of liquid at a time anyway; you're giving him this ON TOP of what he already got when he nursed.
Just keep nursing on demand and count those diapers for reassurance. They do nurse a LOT in the beginning. Slings and wraps are great for this.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM

lets see if I can help...

Quoting renae_3:

My little guy is 11 days old and I don't feel like I'm producing enough for him.

MOST moms feel this way, ignore feelings and ets go with KNOWLEDGE, you wanna KNOW hes getting enough count diapers, 6-8 wet or messy a day with a very wet one being 2 diapers..and look for 4 oz minimum a week gain

If I let him he'd nurse every 15 minutes.

nursing 17-20 hours a day is normal for the first 6 weeks...sucks but its true

He's super cranky after he drains me dry so I will give him another 2 oz (formula) and he's happy as can be.

NO NO NO don't do that ANYmore if you want o be successful.  Theres NO such thing as dry your breasts are constantly making milk, theres no empty just very slowed flow, because he is getting the fats bottle thats so easy he now wants that and THATS why he fusses.  When the flow slows he fusses and then gets formula. 2oz is WAY too much for a newborn to eat first off and second he is getting the milk fromyou and then 2 oz so his tummy is way stretched out, he now THINKS he needs to eat that much.  LIke how people who overeat all the time THINK they need 3 big macs a sitting,

I don't want to supplement but I don't see were I have another choice.

you do, its all about info here..you didn't have the info needed to correctly judge your supply and based it on incorrect info.  and now created a vicious cycle..that can be stopped..NOW

I have tried pumping and only get 1.5 oz. out of both breasts.

THATS aweosme at 11 days..amazing!  norm is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total..1.5 oz is  1.5 hours worth of milk for a BF baby.

I had one day were I absolutely refused to give Gunnar a bottle at all and only made it to 4 pm when he (or I) couldn't get any milk out anymore.

Thats NOT true, baby was mad he was having to work for food..there was milk there and pumps can squeezing does not work as well as a baby

It was about 8 or 9 before he was able to get anything.

again not true...you need to read up on supply, the more baby nurses the more  your body makes, its supply and demand, if he gets a bottle after nursing he nurses less so you make less AND if he misses feedings for bottles you make less,

Is there anything I can do at all?

yeo get the right info and THEn judge your supply... there are tons of ways t raise supply and not need suppliments too, suppliments should be a last resort and never given instead of nursing, should never use bottles and should not be very large

I'm so discouraged. I want him to get his belly full (obviously) but I don't feel like he can with just my breastmilk.

newborns act starved, its their job, nursing constantly raises supply ANd provides comfort too.

To make this work, NO more formula or bottles, count diapers if you see 6-8 a day wet or messy then baby is getting enough, very wet is 2 diapers worth btw.  His tummy is stretched and your supply is likely kinda down from all the formula used and bottles given BUT you will have plenty to EBF.

I promise all moms feel this way, the first 6 weeks is HARD but baby is fineif diapers are fine and baby gets atleast 4 oz a week in weight gain.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Tabitha-Moderator of Breastfeeding moms, feel free to PM me
lfrrll5
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

if you follow the pp advice you will be fine. FIRST OFF THOUGH STOP GIVING HIM FORMULA. YOU ARE LOWERING YOUR SUPPLY BY DOING THIS. If you take still have not enough diapers 6-8 in 24hrs then try taking Fenugreek. kellymom.com will tell you how to use it. 

libs
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Everything the other women have said it TOTALLY true! Do not supplement if you want to continue to only nurse. The more you nurse the more your body will produce. Yes at the beginning if feels like your newborn are attached to you 24/7. That is very typical. Breastfeeding is so healthy not only for the baby but also for you. I could make a list for you but that would just be too darn big. It will be hard but trust me, it will totally be worth it! I wish you luck! We are all here for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)