Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding baby number 2 concerns

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

I just wanted to get some ideas of what other woman did with their first child while breastfeeding their second child. My frist child will just be turning three in August. And my second will be arriving September 1st. My first demands a lot of my attention, just like any child will and I know I will be nursing a lot in the begining and would like some suggestions of what to do to occupy their time while mommy nurses.

I have throughout my pregnancy asked him where the baby is, and he will point to my belly, and then I ask where will the baby eat, and he will point to my breast. I explain to him that I fed him that way when he was a baby and that the new baby will eat from there too.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommytobobby
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM

i just had ds#2, but what i've been doing is inviting ds#1 to sit w/ us. he'll usually sit w/ us for a little bit, love on "baby brother", and go play, or i'll turn a movie on and he'll sit there and watch it either for the whole nursing session or for most of it. sometimes he brings toys or books and i'll play w/ him while i'm nursing.

star33
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM

find him a movie,read him a book.u'll figure out something.

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I don't have child number two yet (due in 19 days). However, I've got some ideas for how I'll handle things. 

1- Sling. I plan on carrying little-brother a lot in a sling. I have a lightweight cotton sling for inside, and a lightweight solarweave sling for outside. 

2- Breastfeeding time is "focus on the older child" time. Reading books, crafts, sitting on the couch with him and watching his favorite TV shows in a bit-more-involved-and-attentative fashion than I'm usually able to muster when I'm watching the same Backyardigans episode for the 106th time in a row.. etc. 

3- Involving my son in all of the different things that the baby is involved in, and telling him stories about when HE was a baby and how happy I am that he came first because he and I got to learn together. And how special it is that he made me into a mommy when I wasn't a mommy before he came along. And "Oo! I think I have pictures of your first bath, do you want to look at them together?"

I read a bit of advice somewhere- wish I could remember where. Basically it said that you should give your body to the baby and your mind to your older child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)