Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

encouragement....

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:43 PM
  • 6 Replies
My SIL is pregnant and due in September. I am fully encouraging breastfeeding with her. And answering any questions she asks. I am also buying all the breastfeeding supplies on her registry...boppy pillow, nursing cover....

Just wondering what people have said or done to continue encouragement with your nursing....thaanks mommas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I didnt really have anyone to "rah-rah" me in the beginning. DH was supportive. That is to say, he wasnt discouraging. He did stuff around the house while I was always bfing. I honestly think the only reason I was succesful was because of the women here who could answer my questions as they came up. This has been my greatest support system. Information is the BEST support tool.

cconaway
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:26 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeng1980
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:12 AM

In addition to the above reply, I would print out 101 Reasons to Breastfeed at http://www.promom.org/101/index.html.  There are some books that she can read but I can't remember the names.  The ladies on the board can help you with the titles.  I would also add that to my collection of breastfeeding gifts for her.  I may would go ahead and give them to her now so she can be reading.  I think one of the titles are "So that's what they are for".  I'm sure you could search it on Amazon and find it.  Just be very supportive of her and get her SO/DH educated as well.  Try to educate grandparents too.  If they seem uninterested or uneducated, start conversations such as "Did you know......" and things like that.  The main discouragement for me was when they would say stupid things like, "how are you so sure they are getting enough?"  Well I didn't know personally when I was BFing the number of diapers thing.  I just told them that mommies just know.  I really didn't know but to keep them from freaking out on me, I just told them that and my DH backed me up because it was usually his mom that would say things like that.  I also read a lot online.  Kellymom is an awesome reference.  If you can, go to the hospital when she has the baby and be her voice for skin to skin contact as soon as possible after the baby is born.  See if she is willing to have them delay all the "stuff" that is really unnecessary right after birth so that she can nurse immediately.  Small things like that not seeming like much can mean the world when you are vulnerable and just had a baby.  That seems to be when the less BFing friendly hospitals take advantage.  Also, you need to tell her that someone needs to be with baby at all times to be sure they don't pop a bottle in his mouth or give a pacifier and all the things they could do to set the BFing relationship back.

That's a lot of stuff but it's really small things.  I hope this helps you out a little.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM

No one was supportive of me. But I breastfed in public with a nursing cover and it convinced my cousin who was there that she could breastfeed her child which she didnt do with her first baby!

star33
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM

bump.i've never really had a cheerleader.it's just very important to me.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM

My friends all say they want to BF but didn't MEAN it so I was more there when they had questions and reached out to me.

BUT if I had a friend I KNEW wanted to BF for sure...I would make a basker of goodies for the shower.  I made a magnet for a friend with weblinks and phone numbers of info for BFing issues, she said it was the best gift anyone gave her. Had local LLL and LC numbers, WIC numbers, kellymom links, links to here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)