Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where did it go?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

so my daughter is 3 months old now and I have been giving her only brreast milk.  i work about 20 hours a week so i pump and she takes it from the bottlr and boob. I always get 4 oz (2 from each side) about every 4 hours.well i noticed that she wasnt gettinf full anymore so I  started trying to pump and feed her more often but now i am only getting 1 oz out of the left nice and still the 2 oz out of the right so i have had to supplement with breast milk i already have stored. the problem is i am running  out of the stuff in my freezer so i need to get my supply up what could i do i have been drinking mothers milk tea but havent noticed anything yet. thanks for the help

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM
It is not uncommon for pump output to decrease over time. You might need to pump more throughout the day. try pumping one side while nursing on the other every morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM

It's supply regulation. It's normal and usually happens about the 3 month mark, sometimes earlier. In the beginning you had an over supply and now your body is getting more comfortable and starting to produce only what it thinks you NEED based on demand. It's an effort to conserve energy. Believe it or not pumping 3 oz per session is still a TREMENDOUS amount.
You only need to give her about an oz per hour you arent there. If she has hit or hits a growth spurt she can make up for any extra calories she needs when she's with you, by nursing more often.
Start trying to pump while you nurse the first time in the am too. This will be your highest output. Also try to pump every 2-3 hours instead of going 4 hours, if at all possible.

star33
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM

i pump every 2 hrs. at work. i don't get very much after the morning pumping session.i use fenugreek.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Stop the supplementing! Just leave her on the breast and expect her to never seem full. That's FINE. Welcometo yet another growth spurt.

The ONLY time you break into your stash or supplement is when you're at work OR you're not changing enough dipes.

Leave the stash alone and let her do her thing. It will also help with the pump output...although ne half to two ounces a session total is NORMAL. Four ounces is NOT and is almost never maintained.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)