Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spit-up

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM
  • 5 Replies

Many of you suggested that I may have a forceful letdown and my son has been spitting up a good bit the past few days. However, it is often after he's been eating for a good while and I thought let down was most forceful at the beginning. So now I'm confused...is he simply eating too much because he suckles for comfort as well as food...or when he's awake and gets bored...or is it probably my letdown??? It sort of worries me because I was under the false impression that breastfed babies don't spit up. It's always a tiny bit, nothing major, and usually occurs when he's been feeding non-stop for awhile or when he only goes a very short interval between feedings (meaning, he shouldn't really be hungry)

Also, my boobs NEVER feel empty now. Is this because he's not emptying them...or do I have more milk than I think I do? I'm never engorged...they just never seem to get much smaller or less full even after a long feeding...and I know he's getting something because 1. he spits up as I said and 2. He often pulls off to sleep with tons of milk running down his face.

Thanks for bearing with me, I have no clue what's normal and what isn't!!!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM

sound like me with my frist one. I never had any issues with my second, but guess what... the problem went away around 3 months old when my supply had regulated itself. I was told it was a laundry problem and nothing more (he was gaining weight just fine and had a good amount of wet diapers).

Several things that may have contributed to my son's spitting up (even porjectile vomiting), was his birth, when they used the vacuum it caused back problems for him and we had to see a chirppractor to fix the problem. This also cause really bad gas for him and fussiness, and he hated the car seat.

Another was that I did get engorged often and had a forcefullet down. I just learned to express some milk before feeding him so that it would be so strong. I would also lean back and nurse so that the milk had to work against gravity.

Another problem that I considered and think may have contributed was being sensitive to milk. So I cut out dairy from  my diet, soy and gassy foods. That mostly was due to him being really gassy all the time.

Jena003
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I had the same thing happen with my son. I was told that he was eating to much and his tummy was to small for the amount of milk he was drinking. I tried my best to regulate it, but it did regulate itself out after a few months and it was not a problem anymore. The pediatrician was not concerned because he was gaining weight. So its not a huge deal. Just a mess for mommy to clean up. 

new_mom808
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM

It does sound like overactive letdown, or forcefull letdown. He's not eating too much. It's impossible to do at the breast. Comfort sucking doesnt necessarily mean he's eating. That's the great think about breastfeeding, they can control the flow.
Breastfed babies can and do spit up. They tend to spit up less because they get less air, except in the cases like OAL. But they do spit up. I second pp's suggestion of seeing a chiro. Check out Kellymom.com for overactive letdown. There are some great tips there on feeding positions to limit this.
Forget about feeling full or empty. That will all regulate in due time and has absolutely nothing to do with wether or not you have enough milk. If baby is not "emptying" the breast, they will soon get the hint and adjust production as needed.

jeng1980
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:43 AM

The impression is exactly that....false with thinking that BF babies don't spit up.  Most do not except like a PP mentioned in cases of forceful or overactive letdown.  Kellymom isa great website to reference.  I would def go there if I were you to check out positions to help.  Otherwise, I also agree that it is a temporary thing and when your supply regulates it will be about 3-6 months in.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

ARmom
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:50 AM
Bf babies do spit up. Don't worry. It sounds like you are doing a great job & if he has plenty of wet diapers, then he's eating enough. And don't worry about feeling engorged. If your baby is eating regularly, then you won't feel full. I felt engorged in the beginning, but after that my breasts felt 'normal,' until it was time to feed again- then I'd slowly feel some letdown. Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)