Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some breast feeding advice.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi! My name is Quiteria

i AM 24 YRS OLD THE MOTHER OF TWO LITTLE GIRLS AGES 2 1/2 AND 12 DAYS OLD. i AM BREAST FEEDING I BELIEVE THAT MY MILK HAS CAME IN BUT I THINK THAT IT'S REALLY LOW. MY DAUGHTER IS POOPING AND PEEING LIKE SHE IS SUPPOSE TO , BUT IT JUST SEEMS LIKE SHE JUST CAN'T GET FULL. CAN YOU LADIES PLEASE HELP WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS OR TRICKS THAT CAN HELP GET MY SUPPLY UP. I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP BECAUSE I STOPPED AFTER A MONTH WITH MY OLDEST DAUGHTER. I JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD HAPPEN A LITTLE SOONER THAN THIS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LaceyN1121
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM

breastfed babies are always hungry, its because the breast milk is easily digested and they don't stay full as often... My son is 2 months old and he still nurses every hour... Your supply probably isn't low if she is having 6 or more wet/dirty diapers in a 24 hour period. Her wanting to eat all the time is whats going to build your milk supply up. Just stick with it and she will find an eating schedule that works

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Since she's getting enough diapers, you're doing fine! Newborns will eat very often and this is good! Milk supply works on supply and demand, so the more you nurse, the more you will make!

piwife
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM
Diapers as long as u are getting 6 is good. Nurse on demand. She might also be going thru a growth spurt. Drink plenty of fluids and eat right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katznkt
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM

It is normal at this point for babies to be eating around the clock. The only way to know if she is getting enough is to count wet/dirty diapers. If she is good there, then you are doing fine. 

Hang on though, she will change. She will go longer between feedings and get faster where she doesn't feed as long. Just give her time and try to sleep as much as you can. 

momnstepmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM

I agree with everyone else. Supply and demand. Let her nurse whenever she wants to and that will make you produce more milk. As long as your little one is having enough diapers then your good!

If you still have doubts, get a pump and before she feeds pump out one breast to measure how much milk you have. If she's still hungry after emptying the other breast then have someone (not you becasue you don't want your baby thinking that you can feed her from bottle, that will cause confusion and the inevitable quitting of nursing altogether, trust me) to feed her what's in the bottle. Then measure how much she's getting. If you pump 3 ounces out of one side, she empties the other and drinks about 1.5 ounces from the bottle then you know she's getting 4.5 ounces with each feeding (unless you have an oinker like mine who drinks 4 ounces from one side and 4 ounces from the other at each feeding and is only 15 days old).

But she could be going through a growth spurt also. Just keep at it.

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Quoting momnstepmom:

If you still have doubts, get a pump and before she feeds pump out one breast to measure how much milk you have. If she's still hungry after emptying the other breast then have someone (not you becasue you don't want your baby thinking that you can feed her from bottle, that will cause confusion and the inevitable quitting of nursing altogether, trust me) to feed her what's in the bottle. Then measure how much she's getting. If you pump 3 ounces out of one side, she empties the other and drinks about 1.5 ounces from the bottle then you know she's getting 4.5 ounces with each feeding (unless you have an oinker like mine who drinks 4 ounces from one side and 4 ounces from the other at each feeding and is only 15 days old).

Pumping is never an indicator of supply. There is no way to measure how much milk your breasts produce because babies are much more efficient. 

Average pumping outputs is 1/2 oz to 2 oz but there are women who don't respond to pumps and are able to nurse-including myself and I was able to nurse twins :)

msjoosey1
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Thanks ladies fro all your encouragement and advice. I feel like crying sometimes because i thought i was starving her. i will keep you guys updated.

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Quoting msjoosey1:

Thanks ladies fro all your encouragement and advice. I feel like crying sometimes because i thought i was starving her. i will keep you guys updated.

Aww! No, you're not starving her! She's being a normal newborn! Hang in there!

star33
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM

that's just their nature. u will feel like she is eating ALL THE TIME. it gets better.just hang in there.don't give formula to supplement b/c u will start a downward spiral of probs.trust me,been there.as long as u have the 6-8 wet diapers ur good.congrats!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)