Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know that this is a bfding group, and I know most of the advice is if/when baby is hungry enough they will take a bottle either bm or formula, however I am ready to be done bfding. I know my dd is only 7 months (well 7 months on the 1st) however I am ready to be done. I really believe breast is best, but mentally and emotionally I don't think I can do it anymore. I am already on 50 mg of zoloft for ppd, and I don't like taking that bc I am bfding. DD has taken bottles in the passed however, does not and absolutely refuses to take them now. Both her gma's and great gma, her dad and aunt have all tried to give her a bottle wrapped in a shirt of mine, both with pumped milk and formula and she refuses. I have not been in the house for any of these times they have tried. What do I do to get her to take a bottle? I know how to dry up, I just need her to take a bottle regularly so I can. I feel horrible, but emotionally I need to stop bfding... I really have tried and tried to keep pushing it out until 1 year but I am really having a hard time.. 

Any advice please... 

TIA 

Megan

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lilmansmom13
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Have you tried using different bottle types? Maybe try a completely different nipple and see if that is the reason. Or maybe she doesnt llike the extra air that she gets through the bottle, try one that stops the air (I think PLaytex and Dr Browns are made for that).

Good luck!!!

WilliamsMama08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Not sure about the bottle, but I have to ask... did they test your thyroid?

Megan6432
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

They did not test my thyroid even though I brought it to their attention, that almost all of my aunts, and my mom have all had thyroid issues requiring medicine after having children. I just moved a week and a half ago and I am having a hard time finding a new dr for my self where I moved, so it may be a little before I can ask to have it checked again. 

Megan6432
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Quoting lilmansmom13:

Have you tried using different bottle types? Maybe try a completely different nipple and see if that is the reason. Or maybe she doesnt llike the extra air that she gets through the bottle, try one that stops the air (I think PLaytex and Dr Browns are made for that).

Good luck!!!

We use the playtex drop ins because that is all she would take when she would take a bottle before. We have to use either the silicon nipples for them or the orthodontic nipples, for her to take them however. Maybe a different type of bottle all together is needed? I guess it wouldn't hurt to pick one up and try... 

WilliamsMama08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Whether you decided to continue to BF or not, I would DEFINATLY get it checked.  Find an "anti-aging" doctor.  They will listen to you.  They are more like a naturopath doctor.   The PCP I had at the time after DS's birth was really pushing for me to go an anti-depressants.  I felt HORRIBLE... bad mood swings, uncontrollable rage, feelings of depression, etc.  I refused to take them  without being tested, found another doc (an anit-aging one) and it was my thyroid... had it treated (along with my cholesterol - it was too low and was contributing to my feelings) and about 3-4mo later I was totally back to normal (lol don't ask hubby though) and have been since.

Quoting Megan6432:

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

They did not test my thyroid even though I brought it to their attention, that almost all of my aunts, and my mom have all had thyroid issues requiring medicine after having children. I just moved a week and a half ago and I am having a hard time finding a new dr for my self where I moved, so it may be a little before I can ask to have it checked again. 

pregnancy <br /><br />
calendar

qbella111
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Try a sippy cup or a cup with a straw. She might take one of those you can even take out the valve on the sippy cup so it just flows for her, it might be messy but it will work. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope things get better for you.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Don't bother with bottles. Give her a cup. She's more than old enough. And she won't starve herself. Give her no choice but the cup, and she will take it.l

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)