Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Delaying Solids

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 14 Replies
Let me start of with my info. My DS in 6 months old and ebf. I had planned on starting him on solids at 6 months like I did with DD. But lately have have been reading more and more about delaying solids. I really like the idea of waiting until they can pick up the food and eat it. It seems like the most natural sign of readyness to me.

I would love to hear of some other moms experiances. I am trying to gather as much information as I can. I know if I make the decision to delay solids I will be fielding lots of questions and skeptictism from the in laws. My DH agrees on delaying solids so I am happy no matter what he'll be on board.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM
I introduced baby food at 6 mos but really didn't give a lot of solids till he was able to feed himself. It was easier that way. I'd say maybe 8-9 mos? He was largely bf until a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeZsMaMa
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM
I delay solids too. I give my ds food occasionally whenever he likes it but he doesn't like solids. So I don't force it until he put an interest. He's 10 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Deairadea
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:27 AM

I've seen articles online that have said a 6 month old baby can feed themselves if you give them foods that have handles and also If they're sitting up straight they won't choke.  If he can hold something in his hand he can get it to his mouth. things like bananas and slices of pear etc... it doesn't necessarily have to be pinching type eating like for cheerios. It also is supposed to have benefits in teaching them how to move food in their mouths as opposed to just sucking it off a spoon. Hope you can find the answers your looking for! I've discussed it with my fam and seen a few raised eyebrows myself :)

lifetimelove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:46 AM

I did that with my son.  He was between 7-8 months when he was self-feeding.  He probably could have done it sooner, but that's when we started (we skipped the whole baby food thing with him).  Google baby-led weaning.  That's what it's called when you start off with self-feeding.  =)

JJRsMomma
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Quoting lilchloesmommy:
It seems like the most natural sign of readyness to me.

My DH agrees on delaying solids so I am happy no matter what he'll be on board.

I agree, it does seem like the most natural thing to do when he's ready for solids. Your desire to delay solids, should alone be a deciding factor but it's even better that your DH agrees with it. If there's any explaining you have to do for the in-laws, you can print out information too.

I think it's great you want to delay solids even longer.

I am a proud stay at home mother to a very inquisitive, vivacious 23 MO daughter. I am non-vaccinating, extended breastfeeding, ext rear facing car seat, gentle discipline, anti-meat dairy eggs (vegan), animal lover, research junky, family oriented, pro-life, evolutionist, non-spanking, co-sleeping, wanna-be chef.

Holly.Nichole
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:08 AM

I did this with my son. We skipped jarred baby food all together. At around 8-9 months I started steaming veggies for him. He finger fed himself. Loved it. Then around 10 months we started soft fruits. Then around 11 months we started pastas and breads and such. Then at a year we start some meats that were soft and chewy. At 13 months, he now eats almost everything we eat. With the exception of things are take alot of chewing. We eat healthy balanced meals though so he gets no junk. Basically just veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean meats. We don't do juices at all. Breastmilk & Water only at this point. Delaying Solids, especially in a breastfed baby, is beneficial to them and also to your nursing relationship if you want to nurse past a year. My son still nurses alot more than other kids his age & i think that's because we waited later to give solids. He wasnt eating "meals" until around 11 months.

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Nikki is almost 6 months and is already showing a strong interest. I do believe if I put some banana in front of her she would love it. I'm just scared she might get choked. Is it too early if she's so anxious to get started?

Deairadea
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM

the article i read on baby led weanign said if they are sitting up straight they will not choke the food will come out of ther mouth before it will go down their throat. I just googled and found this site  http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/startingsolids/babyledweaning/#10 which says

"Won't my baby choke if we try BLW?

It's perfectly understandable to worry about your baby choking or gagging. Supporters of BLW argue that as long as babies can sit upright, they should be fine. The fact that babies can handle and control the amount they eat, and move it to the back of their mouths when they're ready, means the risk of choking is minimal. Remember that babies should never be left alone when eating. "

This is my mom's concern with the BLW but the more i look into it the more I like what I see! I love that it actually teaches them how to move food in their mouths where as with a puree they just suck it off the spoon. By introducing food as a solid your teaching your child to experience the flavor and texture of foods becuase they have to move it around their mouths! Supposedly it makes for less picky eaters too!

ktoualiba
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:29 AM

My daughter is 10 months old and breastfeed like a champ and eats like a champ.  We went to Jason's Deli the other day, she ate 1/3 of a whole wheat grilled cheese sandwich and two whole strawberries as well as water.  When we got home about 45 minutes later she breast fed.  I did delay solids with her to about 8 months...I wanted to delay longer but she was extremely interested in food!  She does not eat baby food other than some baby fruits and some of the vegetables like spinach that I mix into her regular food.

lilchloesmommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM
The more I read the more sense it makes! I think this will be an awesome experiance for both me and DS. I think he will love exploring his foods. He's so curious (naturally) about everything. I can only imagine how excited he will be to touch and smush up that food. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)