Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Her ped told me to give her this

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM
  • 36 Replies
Took DD in for her 12 month well check and vaccines today and she has started gaining weight really well! 2 wks ago when I took her in cause she was sick she weighed 16 lbs 6 oz. Today she weighed 17 lbs 2 oz!!!

Because her weight gain was so slow the last few months he still wants her putting on some more weight. I told him I couldn't afford pediasure and he advised me to give carnation instant breakfast..,does anyone know anything about this stuff? Is it any good? Should I be giving it to my 1 yr old??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

pediasure is waaay expensive. my dad used to drink the chocolate carnation instant breakfast to gain weight. and i'm sure it's fine for a 1 year old especially if the doctor said ok to it.

qbella111
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:33 AM

All I can say is that my sister used it to help increase calories for my nephew who has mild CP and has trouble putting on weight. I would look at its overall nutrition content before giving it. Good luck.

annaica
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM
I say it would be ok but there should be other ways than that... I will see if I can find anything for you to ask your pedi about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaceyN1121
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM

my daughter loves it... I drank it when I was pregnant... My daughter had to drink pediasure when she was little and I switched to  carnation... it helped her with her weight gain... it doesn't have an odd after taste like pediasure does too

cheerbaby15_12
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM

My friend gave it to her 18 month old bc he wasn't gaining enough weight and he is doing a lot better now with gaining.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM
I make my kids Carnation Instant breakfast, with whole milk and chocolate ice-cream, all blended up like a shake. My kids are all kind of small, and this doesn't make much difference. (my smallest weighed under 18 lbs at year, 20 lbs at 2 yrs). I also made these shakes when I was pregnant, trying to gain weight. I don't think they're "healthy", more like taking a crushed vitamin with your milkshake. I wouldn't be giving it to a baby under a year, but think it's fine here and there. (We had to see endocrinologists and nutritionists, and had to put butter and mayo on everything she ate to sneak in calories, and I even started making mac and cheese with heavy whipping cream. Someone on this very board made me feel better about all that because real butter, mayo, cheese, cream are all pretty natural, as opposed to fattening up a kid with fries, pop and candy.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephNcary
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:32 AM

i give it to my just turned 2 yr old just before bed on days when he doesnt eat well and i drink it all the time if i work really early  since i dont have an appetite that early in the morning. i wouldnt give it to her just becuase your pedi is worried about weight. your daughter weighs more than my son did at his 12 month checkup. you have nothing to worry about just a small child, as long as she looks healthy just ignore him.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Its pediasure generally for adults.  WIC told me to give it to my kids.  My 6 year old drinks it in his milk, we buy the powder.  HE has a sensory disorder and eatting is hard for him.  We give it to him after a meal..its his treat and he will eat more to be able to get it.  I absoluely refuse to let my 3 year old have it, I did not work hard to EBF him to give him crap in a can later, JMO though.

mommaslilmen
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM

is she happy and healthy? has she LOST weight since her last check up? is she meeting milestones? is she still wetting diapers? if yes to all...forget what your ped said about her weight! i have one very skinny 3.5 yr old who has never been on the weight charts and doing good. those charts were made from kids who were formula fed and chunky, not breastfed and skinny. if your really concerned you can just feed her naturally high fat foods like avacodos, peanut butter (of course hold off if family history of allergin) extra virgin olive oil (use instead of vegetable)

cmiller83
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM
That's kind of how I feel! I like this dr( just switched to him)...I think he is open and realizes his way isn't the only way.

I told him I couldn't afford pediasure and I didn't want to give my child carnation cause of all the sugar. He was ok with it and told me just to try and up her fatty foods so I went and bought some avacados and will probably start splashing a LITTLE bit of Olive oil on her veggies.

Any other ideas of healthy high fat options?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Its pediasure generally for adults.  WIC told me to give it to my kids.  My 6 year old drinks it in his milk, we buy the powder.  HE has a sensory disorder and eatting is hard for him.  We give it to him after a meal..its his treat and he will eat more to be able to get it.  I absoluely refuse to let my 3 year old have it, I did not work hard to EBF him to give him crap in a can later, JMO though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)