Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prenatal vitamins and DHA supplements

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM
  • 17 Replies

So currently, for my whole pregnancy i've been taking my daily prenatal along with a DHA prenatal supplement.

I'm wondering if I should continue taking these even after I have baby (breastfeeding)

Amy

Parent to Nadia(RIP 09/05-11/09), Sasha, and expecting #3!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:32 AM

alot of doctors and moms would say yes. it won't do any harm. 

Wife2003
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM
I wouldn't touch the DHA with a 10ft pole!!! But the prenatals yes you should continue taking them while BFing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kestrel1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM

I did not take supplements UNTIL I was ebf a 10mo.  I lost a TON of hair, not the post partum hprmonal loss, but ten months of handfulls every time I showered or brushed my hair.

I was lucky that I still had my wisdom teeth.  I don't any more.  I lost them to baby #3, not pulled, they died, broke and came out.

I drained my body with baby 1 & 2 being so close together and never really worried about nutrition till after #3 when I started having joint, muscle, dental problems and more.  I've been on  prenatal, a calcium, a potassium and a folic acid for 6mo.  My hair is coming back - I have 2" bangs coming in under the rest.  My joints are finally stabilizing.

Take the supplements for yourself.  They may not be necessary for baby, but why run yourself into the ground if you don't have to?  It's a long road back to health when you've walked away from it.

Jen825
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Why not?  I take 2 fish oil capsules daily, in addition to my prenatals.

Quoting Wife2003:

I wouldn't touch the DHA with a 10ft pole!!! But the prenatals yes you should continue taking them while BFing.

Deairadea
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:17 AM

I take a double dose of prenatals now that i'm breastfeeding to avoid the aformentioned hairloss (i have think hair)... Thankfully its saved me pulling handfuls of hair out and i haven't had any negative side effects I look at it as one for me and one for DS.

JJRsMomma
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Well, I often hear very conflicting information about DHA supplements. How they're good, how they're bad. IDK what to think. So on the safe side, I avoid them entirely. I think it's fine to use your prentals, they're just vitamins right.

queenamy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Thanks ladies!

So i'll continue to take both.

I honestly do trust in DHA supplement. I took it while I was pregnant with my first.. she ended up being disabled with brain damage, along with so many other issues.. after all this they said she should have hearing and vision loss. But I never noticed.. she could track a flashlight in a lit up room.

THerefor my reasoning I trust DHA DOES in fact help babys vision and brain developemnt.

I do appriciate your opinions

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM
I want to know more about this, too! I don't take the DHA ones now but was thinking of them. My older kids take Dr. Sears' DHA. I didn't know there was any controversy with them. DHA from real fish or fish oil capsules?

Quoting Jen825:

Why not?  I take 2 fish oil capsules daily, in addition to my prenatals.

Quoting Wife2003:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jen825
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I'd like to know more, too.  I take the fish oil capsules, and my son takes the DHA gummies.

Wife2003
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM
I just am copy and pasting this from another post I was trying to write it but couldn't remember all the words, hope this is ok!!!
by Gruntlings on Mar. 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Get a fish oil supplement that is certified free of mercury. Avoid the algae/fungus Martek oil supplements (DHASCO and ARASCO), they're different from the DHA and ARA that humans normally consume from foods, and while DHA and ARA have been proven beneficial, many people are skeptical about the fungal/algae oils, especially since they are extracted with hexane.

Or you can just eat low-mercury fishes and flax seed oil once or twice a week.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)