• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing on demand past a year

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:25 AM
  • 19 Replies

I'm getting lots of looks, comments, and questions from family and friends because Carter is 10 months and still nursing. He looks "too big" to be nursing. Even if they don't see me nursing, they get annoyed by knowing that I still nurse.

I don't plan to stop at 12 months but I'm considering limiting him to times when we are at home. I just can't figure out how to do it. If Carter wants to nurse, I can't distract him with food or a sippy cup...he refuses everything and presses his face against my chest and grunts until I give in.

At 10 months, he is still nursing a lot! He still gets up at night to nurse. Right now he is sick so he has been on the breast basically all day for the last 2 days. I just don't see how I can force him to nurse less often. He is so happy and content with nursing.

I'm nervous about nursing in public (or letting people know that I still nurse) after he is a year old but I don't see him weaning himself down in the next 2 months.

How do you feel about this topic? Should I continue to nurse on demand after a year? Should I put my foot down and only allow him to nurse at certain times of day when we are at home? How do I get past the comments people make when they find out that I'm still nursing?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifetimelove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:50 AM

I don't think at a year it's practical to expect a baby to understand that they can't nurse when they're out and about.  There's certainly nothing wrong with trying to distract, giving something else, but there are times when they NEED to nurse.  I've found that it's not really until after the 18 month mark when I was comfortable limiting our public breastfeeding.  And honestly, I don't always do that.  Sometimes I can tell that my daughter just NEEDS to nurse, nothing to do with hunger, and she's 22 months old.  A lot of times it's at places like the hospital, church, or somewhere where we're sitting down and there's not much opportunity to distract her.  Often, being very tired plays into it, and if we're out and about close to nap time, I'm not going to expect her to be rational and not be able to nurse.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but for me, I can't NOT nurse my child when they need to.  It's just determining what the need is.  =)

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

JJRsMomma
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM

I think you should continue nursing past a year and whatever negative comments or looks you may happen to get, let them through one ear and out the other. I know it's frustrating but which is most important to you? Doing what's right for those who don't like it or your babe? He's not going to understand why he can't nurse anymore, he's only going to be 1.

Holly.Nichole
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:01 AM

I think 12 months is alittle early to start limiting nursing sessions. My son is 13 months and still nurses on demand. At home & in public. I've never had anyone say anything negative to me. Yes, there will always be the ones who will at 2 months, 10 months, 2 years, and so forth. That doesnt mean you have to stop. The benefits go far past the 12 month mark. You just have to know you are doing whats right for your child and not worry about comments. When other people make rude comments. I have had a few family members ask if i'm still nursing (we don't live near them, so if i don't tell them they don't know) & when I tell them I am some of them have asked how long I plan to. When I tell them until he's ready to stop they say oh..well that's good. You can tell they don't understand it but they dont say anything negative. Sometimes people are negative about it because they don't understand the benefits or they are misinformed. Try tell them the benefits and that it's recommended until 2 years and as long after as mom and child want. If your not comfortable nursing in public after a year, odds are it won't be too terribly hard to work around beause most children do tend to space feedings out alittle more after the year mark with the addition to alittle more solids. You just have to do what you feel is right for you and your baby. But is there a reason not to nurse in public, or to space feedings so you can go out without nursing? No, not at all. Lots of people nurse toddlers, and many do so in public. Hope that helps alittle :)

epoh
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM
I started only nursing at home when DD was around 17 mos. I actually yelled at a receptionist at a Drs office. One of the patients was uncomfortable with me nursing my at-the-time 15 month old and said something to the receptionist. She felt the need to say something to me and I just flipped. I was so mad because I made the extra effort to cover what little breast I had exposed and this lady was still offended.

The only other time I NIP after that was DDs first week of daycare. I started working at the same place she was going and she had a rough time adjusting. One particularly stressful day for her, at nap, I cuddled her on her cot and nursed. my coworkers know I still nurse her at 32 mos and plan on tandem nursing. They think I'm kinda nuts, but hey, I cloth diaper, just had a home birth, and am super crunchy. I make no apologies and since they have no bearing on how I raise my children, everyone just accepts it :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM
I still mostly nurse my 2 1/2 year old on demand. He doesn't nurse in public much because he's usually too distracted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeanieGirlNYC
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Keep doing what you know is good for your son and for yourself.  My family felt it was their responsibility and their business to inquire about how long I was planning on nursing my son when he was reaching a year old.  (These are the same people who made sure to tell me constantly while I was pregnant that I must nurse and never use formula!)   They actually made comments every single time we were together.  I casually replied, "When Jack is ready I will know."  They would snicker and roll their eyes when I would sit down to nurse him and constantly point out how big he was. (He was only 18 pounds at a year!)  I admit that after a while I would go into another room when my family or my husband's family was around, but that wasn't because I was ashamed.  I would leave the room because I didn't trust myself to sink to their level and say something inappropriate.  Enjoy your time nursing.  It goes too fast and I still miss it. 

Becca2020
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I still nursed out in public until my son was probably like 15 months and now he's almost two and I usually only do it at home.

MNLETLE
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:35 AM
I nurse my almost 16 month on demand. I'm also a large 27 weeks pregnant. You can imagine the looks I get. Frankly, I don't care. It isn't about them and their relationship with me or my son, but only about my son and I....and no one has a right to tell him wen to stop nursing or me to stop allowing him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MNLETLE
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM
My DS is also a big boy at 27 pounds.

Quoting MNLETLE:

I nurse my almost 16 month on demand. I'm also a large 27 weeks pregnant. You can imagine the looks I get. Frankly, I don't care. It isn't about them and their relationship with me or my son, but only about my son and I....and no one has a right to tell him wen to stop nursing or me to stop allowing him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mgnlee6
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Good luck. Im trying to find that out too.

*~Megan~*

in loveMegan & Patrick (12/23/2003)breastfeeding(Nathan 05/09/2009)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)