Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question from 1st timer

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am going to be a 1st time mommy in Nov, and i am looking to breast feed and pump, so my questions is which is the best pump that is not going to cost me over 250 i am looking to buy a electric one, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks ladies 

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
camsmom415
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I had the playtex petite double electric one.... IT'S A POS!!! DON'T GET IT!!!!  I also had the Evenflo Comfort Select Dual Performance Breast Pump. I really liked it. But if you are using a pump alot  I would suggest spending a little bit more. Plus I had a friend that bought the $250 one and she has used it for all 3 kids and it still works awesome. You can go to a Lactation Consultant and they can give you suggestions. Good luck and congrats on the baby. :)

palexander
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I had a First Years one. (I will see if I have a pic of it). It was about $100-150 and I loved it. I am actually thinking about selling mine. I know our local health department allows you to borrow one. I actually was able to borrow one, like the hospitals use, for a year. Plus our local health department also gave out vouchers for a free breastpump. You might check into that.

As for advice, don't introduce bottles till about 6 weeks. Don't watch the clock, watch your baby for signs of hunger. Nurse on demand for as long as the baby WANTS. You don't have to nurse on both breasts.

When mine were little, this is what I did. When they got hungry, I would nurse them on one side then burb and change them. I would then over the second breast. Newborn are hard to keep awake during those first few weeks. My dd from day 1 nursed on BOTH breasts EVERY feeding. Our twins nursed on side for the first 3 weeks then switched to a full nursing then a snack on the second at each feeding. Our youngest nursed only on one side for the first 4 weeks then switched to both. Another thing I did was rotate breast. First I started on the left at 8a.m. then at the next feeding I started on the right. Doing it that way helped keep me "equal and even".

Good Luck.

TIFANIE30
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM

BUMP!

DoulaMommy84
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Talk to your insurance about them paying for a pump. I ALWAYS recommend a medela pump, whether it's a double or single electric, they just make the best pump, it's durable and LASTS. It's spendy, but you'll use it, and hopefully your insurance will pay for it under durable medical supplies. You can actually get a prescription from your care provider or the baby's pediatrician if that makes your insurance happier. :)

pixiestix21
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I have the medela pump in style and I LOVE it. I've been breastfeeding for only two weeks but I've used my pump almost everyday. My baby doesn't mind a bottle at night so I pump for that, it's awesome. Congrats on your baby and your decision to breastfeed! :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM

If you'll be home, an Avent Isis will work nicely. Ameda Purely Yours is a great pump for $150.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)