Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Baby on breastfeeding strike and milk is drying up!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

OK, I swore I would never be one of those moms who was still breastfeeding when my child was old enough to lift my shirt herself, but here I am with a 15 month old who, up until 2 days ago, was still nursing, and I was loving every minute of it.  Then, all of a sudden one night I went to nurse her, and she started stiffening and screaming - she was so inconsolable that I actually thought she was teething and gave her pain medication!  It wasn't until the next night when she pulled this again, after not nursing all day, that I realized she was refusing my breast. 

It has been about 3 days - at first she would put her mouth on me but pull away - I thought maybe it tasted bad from my breastpad, so I showered, but even when she lifts my shirt she still pulls away and won't go near my breast.  She asks for "bubbie", and takes her binker out when I ask if she wants it and pulls up my shirt, but won't go near it.  She is drinking a lot more water lately, not sure if this is related. I am really disappointed - I wasn't ready to stop cold turkey.

I called the doctor's office, and got some young nurse who didn't know what she was doing and basically told me I should have stopped by now anyway.

Any ideas as to why she has stopped cold turkey?  I haven't changed soaps, detergents, etc.  I am worried my milk will dry up and then she will change her mind.  Pumping doesn't work for me for many reasons, so please don't suggest that.

Thanks.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Heatherlee88
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Bump. I'm only going on 6 months Breastfeeding so far...

palexander
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Bump...I have no idea. Our son is 18 months but hasn't done that before.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM

milk will come back  if she changes her minf, it takes a long time for it to dry up.  Could you be pregnant that cam chamge the taste of your milk.

JennyMom3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Definitely not pregnant.  The only thing that has changed is that I started taking benefiber, but that is odorless and almost tasteless, and I kind of feel like, after 2 years, my period is about to come back - can hormones change the taste?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM

YEP hormones chang the taste my son refused to nruse the first time I got my period last time around, so far no period this time but I know other moms have had this issue

DoulaMommy84
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Sounds like she's decided she's done. At this age, follow HER lead. When she wants it, if you want to give her the breast, go for it. 

JennyMom3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YEP hormones chang the taste my son refused to nruse the first time I got my period last time around, so far no period this time but I know other moms have had this issue

Did your son ever go back to it?

preacherskid
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting JennyMom3:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Did your son ever go back to it?

My daughter would get grumpy and act like there wasn't enough milk every time I got my period (I'm pregnant now so no more period lol)  After I was done she would go back to the regular baby that caused trouble mode lol.  It got to where I could predict my period because she would get fussy about two-three days prior.  If it is your period, it should correct itself in a few days or after your period is done.

JennyMom3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Thanks everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)