Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Approaching the one year mark! And I have questions!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM
  • 7 Replies

Meredith is 11 1/2 months old. Exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months and then started trying solids close to 7 months. Now I am used to feeding this little piggy all the freaking time. She doesn't really eat much solids. Won't eat baby food. And lately it seems like she isn't even nursing that much. So I am kind of worried. She used to nurse a lot and now it just doesn't seem like she is nursing much at all.  Is this supposed to happen around a year?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JEM86
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM

My daughter stopped nursing as much at 1 too. I think it was becasue she was just getting busy. I started giving her table food, not baby food and whole milk on her first birthday, and she was done nursing a week later.

cmiller83
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM
My DD just turned 1 and she is nursing less too, I am also giving her whole milk in a cup which she really likes.

She also does not like to be fed, she likes feeding herself. How does your DD do with self feeding? I say put her in the high chair and give her little bits of food to eat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaslilmen
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM

gabe(18 months) has gone through phases where he will nurse less then seems like hes attached all day. is she teething?

mss119
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

It could be that her growth spurt is slowing down- that's common around a year, and they start eating less.

juliebulie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Usually I give her small bits of food in her highchair and she will eat a few bites. Lately she just pushes all of it on the floor. The only thing she has eaten lately is a saltine here or there. She is always teething. She has a tooth that has been taking a month and a half to come in.  But it is just in the last week that she has slowed down on nursing and isn't eating other food at all. 

miasmommy21407
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Totally normal. Babies are so busy around a year learning to walk, learning to use sippy cups and all the other exciting things that happen around this time that sometimes nursing becomes lower on their priority list BUT that doesn't mean it's not still VERY important to her health.

The lack of solids is not a big deal even at this age. My DD didn't become REALLY interested in eating a lot of solids (i.e. eat 3 meals a day, eat more food than milk) until closer to 15 or 16 months. As long as she's having plenty of wet diapers and isn't losing weight there is no need to be concerned.

Just keep offering her the breast. She'll take it when she wants and breastfeeding will pack back up

I'm a FULL TERM BREASTFEEDING, Extended Rear Facing, Using the Infant Car Seat PROPERLY, Pro-Life, CONSERVATIVE, Mommy to Mia 2 and Dason 7 months.

Owner of the education group Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (other than for medical reasons).

juliebulie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Well, today the kid was back to nursing a normal amount. And she even had a couple bites of chicken. I guess she is fine after all. Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)